News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1940 Turn indicator wiring

Started by jbento, March 11, 2010, 09:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbento

Howdy!

So now I am trying to figure out the wiring to the turn signal on a 40-72.  I have the diagram, but connecting things up is still a bit of a challenge.

All is good on the switch end.

Under the dash there are six wires.  2 of them go to the main harness, and since I also replaced that, connecting those two ends together (main harness to turn indicator harness) is no problem.

There is a third wire (16 gauge YxR) that also goes to the main harness, but has a fuse in-line.  So here is the first question: What is the rating needed for this fuse?

Now we have 3 wires left.  They are labeled:

1) 16 gauge YxR Flasher Unit (X)
2) 16 gauge YxBkxR Flasher Unit (L)
3) 16 gauge Y-R Flasher Unit (P)

I am guessing that the "Flasher Unit"  is a part that I need to go get, since there is no where under the dash for these wires to connect to anything.  Could anyone please tell me exactly what I need to go get in the way of this part?

Many thanks!

Joe
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Warren Rauch

The turn signal flasher you need is 6 volt with terminals to match your wires. The old ones are often a round tube with 3 male terminals that have screws .Somewhat newer no screws ,the terminals push into a sealed beam head hight plug. The 6 volt ones are often special order in local parts stores. Warren

Classic

Yes, those 3 wires go to the flasher.  You will need a 6 volt 3 terminal flasher and corresponding socket.  See Toto's supplier listing.  They are readily available.  The "X" is the hot terminal, "L" is the load and "P" is the pilot light. The feed wire to "X" comes from the battery and should be have an inline fuse of about 20 amps.  Signal Stat diagram attached.  Hope this helps. 
Gene Menne
CLC #474

jbento

Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72

Classic

To see "NEW Huge List of Cadillac Parts Vendors" click on this link:   http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php/topic,5742.msg70082.html#msg70082
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Otto Skorzeny

Toto?  Isn't that some one hit wonder band from the '80s?

I think he meant Otto.  ;)

See link below.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

jbento

Thanks all.

I am begining to rethink this.  It seems that the turn indicator switch is directly on line with the steering wheel.  Not sure if I should proceed or not, and if so, exactly how.

???
Joe Bento
CLC# 20081
1940 Cadillac Series 72