News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need help with 56 cooling system

Started by FabCad, March 12, 2010, 02:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FabCad

Hello, I am new to this forum so any help would be much appreciated!  I have a 56 cad series 62, was a barn find sitting for long time. I finally got it running and now am dealing with the heating and cooling system. When I got the car, the heating system was bypassed and there was a single line running out from the water pump to the tranny, and another line out of the tranny back into the pump. The shop manual has a diagram on the layout of the heater hoses. But nothing on the tranny cooler lines - just says in "from engine block" and out "to water pump". There's a splitter on the water pump inlet where I can bring the line in (I believe this runs under the manifold). But my question is where does the line "from block" come from? (Note: there's a plug on top of the head by cylinder #1). Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

J. Gomez

Quote from: FabCad on March 12, 2010, 02:05:46 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum so any help would be much appreciated!  I have a 56 cad series 62, was a barn find sitting for long time. I finally got it running and now am dealing with the heating and cooling system. When I got the car, the heating system was bypassed and there was a single line running out from the water pump to the tranny, and another line out of the tranny back into the pump. The shop manual has a diagram on the layout of the heater hoses. But nothing on the tranny cooler lines - just says in "from engine block" and out "to water pump". There's a splitter on the water pump inlet where I can bring the line in (I believe this runs under the manifold). But my question is where does the line "from block" come from? (Note: there's a plug on top of the head by cylinder #1). Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

FabCad,

If you go to section 16 on the Shop Manual figure 16-B-1 should show you the routing for the hoses. There is a “Y” connection located on the left side fender below the brake vacuum cylinder/master cylinder unit. There is a “T” connection at the firewall to the left of the vacuum wiper motor, if you have the master parts list there is a picture under Group 35 of a 1955 front end showing the hoses.
There is an outlet on the right side of the block next to the starter (hard to see it) that should go to the transmission cooler and the other side goes up to the heater valve.

Once you get these connections there may be a few details to iron out i.e. water pump side. Unfortunately there are no details in the book showing all connections and routing i.e. inside the frame on left and right sides, etc. 

PS There is about a mile of hoses in all from and to give or take..!  ;D

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Otto Skorzeny

I think it totals about 30 feet. Or is it 50 feet? I forget.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Brett Cottel

50 ft...is that all?  Try a commercial chassis with 3!!!! heater cores!!!!!! think I've got around 75ft or so but the lines from the driver side to the rear heater core are copper behind the driver seat.  I'll post a pic's of the drawing made to help us put it back together correctly.  >:D

Brett
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Otto Skorzeny

Yah, that sounds about right. The other cars have two cores.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: FabCad on March 12, 2010, 02:05:46 PM
But my question is where does the line "from block" come from? (Note: there's a plug on top of the head by cylinder #1). Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.
There is an outlet on the passenger side, above the starter motor. It's a short steel tube. The other outlet is near the water pump and the hose goes under the manifold.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

FabCad

Thanks for the help! 
I crawled under the car this morning and it appears the outlet has been permanently sealed.  I don't know why in world somebody would do that...
So, what are my options? I'm thinking I could use a Y connector and split the line coming from the water pump before it goes into the firewall.  Any issues with that?
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible

J. Gomez

Quote from: FabCad on March 13, 2010, 01:55:08 PM
Thanks for the help! 
I crawled under the car this morning and it appears the outlet has been permanently sealed.  I don't know why in world somebody would do that...
So, what are my options? I'm thinking I could use a Y connector and split the line coming from the water pump before it goes into the firewall.  Any issues with that?

FabCad,

Real simple that is what happens when someone works on cars w/out a shop manual, and since they have no clue as to how and where things should go the logic solution is plug, bypass, remove, disconnect, etc, etc…!

You mention permanently seal, was the pipe remove and the hole close or did the blocked off the pipe?

This outlet directs the water flow from the block over to the transmission cooler and the output goes back into the pump, this path also helps to keep the proper temperature for the transmission fluid.

If there is no way to restore this outlet a possible alternative is to tapped into the line output of the pump and extend  a hose over to the tranny and out of the tranny back into the return side of the line going back to the pump. Again this is not the correct method but it should keep the transmission oil at least warm enough until you can get it fix correctly.

Again this is just a temp fix; I’m not suggestion or implying keeping this setup permanently.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

FabCad

Yes, the pipe was removed and the hole closed.  As you suggest, I'm going to tap into the line output of the pump as a temporary solution.  Thanks for your help!
1948 Sedanette
1949 Convertible
1950 Convertible
1957 Biarritz
1960 Convertible