News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

bench testing trico wiper motor ?

Started by Rick Peterson #25685, March 13, 2010, 01:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Peterson #25685

Does anyone know how to bench test a wiper motor. Maybe tie into shop vac ?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Nasser Almasary

Rick
  I always test the motor by pluging the vacuum inlet with my finger and move the lever manually and see how much suction it creates. You could take it to any car and hook it up with any vacuum hose and check its seal and smothness of movement, it is a question of how good the leather seal can hold air. By moving the lever (playing with it) you can hear the sound (a woosh) and can make an educated guess of its tightness. you could improve the seal by using heavy grease in the motor. My 2Cs.
Nasser,
1939 60 special
1947 convertible
1972 Eldorado convertible

J. Gomez

Quote from: RICK IN NC on March 13, 2010, 01:21:30 PM
Does anyone know how to bench test a wiper motor. Maybe tie into shop vac ?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Rick,

Any vacuum source that provides 13” of vacuum should suffice i.e. an A/C vacuum pump.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger H

you could run a hose from a newer car intake manifold for testing
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Carl Schreiber

Rick / all -

You might want to try a mity-vac brake bleeder - minus the bleed cup.  It should generate enough vacuum to test the wiper motor, plus, once you get it to the vacuum level you want, you can watch to see if the gauge bleeds down - even time it  -
to see if the wiper motor is holding vacuum.  If you don't have one, they're not that expensive, and pretty useful to test all
kinds of vacuum parts (in addition to bleeding brakes!).  Most auto parts stores rent them for cheap or free, too.

Carl Schreiber