News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Michigan car owners please read!

Started by Brian Dowell, March 18, 2010, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Dowell

>:( Michigan House Bill 5897.  Representative Cushingberry has introduced a bill wanting to have a yearly registration fee of $35.00 for each vehicle. Your current plates will no longer be good. His phone number is Representative Cushingberry 517 373 2276.  Call him and your Representative about this bill.
30 LaSalle Coupe
30 LaSalle 7 Passenger touring
33 LaSalle Sedan
60 Cadillac Convertible
15 Model T Touring

Carfreak

* Not only would this legislation affect vintage vehicles, but standard registered vehicles ('daily drivers') would see registration fees increase 90%

From Hagerty:

State Affected: Michigan
Active Legislation Impacting Collectors: HB 5897

Summary: HB 5897 is a bill that increases vehicle registration fees for all vehicles, including those with historic and authentic plates.

* Currently, you pay $30 for historic plates and they are good for 10 years. This bill would change the law and require that you pay $30 annually.
    * For authentic plates, the current law says that you pay $35 for the plates and that registration is good indefinitely.
       This bill would change the law and require you to pay $30 annually.

Status of HB 5897:    Hagerty Plus and our newly created affinity program, the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA), have been in ongoing discussions with House and Senate leadership on this bill voicing our strong opposition. It's part of a larger package of bills aimed at significantly increasing road funding for the state of Michigan. The estimated total cost of this bill is approximately $600 million. It is highly unlikely that the House or the Senate will vote on this bill before the November election. In fact, the Senate Majority Leader has said publicly that his chamber will not consider any fee or tax increase, which means that there is almost an iron-clad assurance that this bill would be dead on arrival in the Senate if for some reason it moved out of the House.

That being said, all bets are off after the election in November. After the election and before the newly elected officials take office on January 1, 2011, is the political witching hour known as lame duck session. During this period, legislation that would otherwise be politically unpopular becomes fair game. At this point, there's a reasonable chance that it could be taken up during the lame duck session and considered with the other road funding bills.

Bottom line:   We have some time to coordinate a strong, effective strategy in opposition to this bill.
In the coming weeks we will be organizing a meeting with all interested clubs and club members to discuss the issue and plan our opposition so please stay in touch!
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Chris Conklin

Hello Michigan, welcome to the California vehicle registration system.  ;D

My '66 Eldorado's yearly registration just came in the mail, $346.  ???
Chris Conklin

Otto Skorzeny

Georgia's governor has flat out said he will not sign any law that raises taxes for auto registration, etc. They are trying to screw the smokers in GA though.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Kevin M. Parkinson

Quote from: Brian D on March 18, 2010, 01:46:48 PM
  Representative Cushingberry has introduced a bill wanting to have a yearly registration fee of $35.00 for each vehicle. Your current plates will no longer be good.

I read House Bill 5897.  It does change the registrations to an annual requirement but does not mean your current plates will no longer be good. 

Historic plates issued before March 1, 2010 will expire on April 15 in the tenth year after issuance.  Historic plates issued on or after March 1, 2010 will have to be renewed annually ($30) on the owner's birthday.

Authentic Michigan plates (the year of manufacture plates) registered before January 1, 2012 will remain valid until the registrant sells, transfers, or scraps the vehicle.  Beginning January 1, 2012 new registrations will expire (and renew for $30) each year on the owner's birthday.

So your plates, whether historic or authentic, will continue to remain valid as per the agreement when you first registered that plate.  This bill will affect any new registrations.

Kevin
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Chris Conklin #25055 on March 18, 2010, 02:38:33 PM
Hello Michigan, welcome to the California vehicle registration system.  ;D

My '66 Eldorado's yearly registration just came in the mail, $346.  ???

Chris,
That reg fee is WAY too high. Unless your car was sold & REPORTED to the state at some 40+K value. In that case the use tax would have been high & the code for the value bumped up. Advise.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Otto Skorzeny

It's great living in GA. Old cars' over 25 yrs or so have ad valorum tax of about $10 max.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Chris Conklin

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on March 19, 2010, 04:16:17 PM
Chris,
That reg fee is WAY too high. Unless your car was sold & REPORTED to the state at some 40+K value. In that case the use tax would have been high & the code for the value bumped up. Advise.
Bob

The car has been with me for only a year. The dealer performed the transfer with DMV as part of the sale so I anticipated it being a little high... But not this high. The reported value would have been $20K, I figured fees in the $170-$200 range. I'm still going to verify (argue) with DMV before I pay them. There's been talk recently of hiking the fees back up to the levels that Davis had them at before the Governator was ordained. Thought perhaps that had happened already when I saw this fee. Ah well, between fools like me and all the folks with new car registrations from the cash-for-clunkers program, the state might actually get some roadways re-paved!  One can dream... ;D

Chris Conklin

J. Gomez

That is one of the many things I do not miss after moving from Cali, registration fees are ridiculous high. Once the dealer process the transfer regardless of age of the vehicle year after year fees stay about the same.

Check the DMV calculator and you can get an idea on what will be your registration fees.

https://mv.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/index.jsp
J. Gomez
CLC #23082