News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Started by wes, March 19, 2010, 12:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wes

I recently find myself the owner of a 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz.  It originally belonged to my wife's grandfather who left it to her father who in turn literally threw the keys at me.  It is in 99% mint condition and only has 28000 miles on it.  I just need to find out a close estimate in value.  If anyone has any info that could help me that would be great.  Thanks

Wes

Craig Chally

As nice as it may be, it has the HT4100 engine, which kills it's value.  Assuming it's in near virgin condition and completely loaded with every option Cadillac could throw in it, I can't see it topping $4000.  And that's if you come across someone who just has to have the car.  $3000 is more realistic.

Davidinhartford

I've got to agree with Craig.   You have one of the most beautiful Cadillacs ever made.  But with an engine that will self destruct by 50,000 miles.

Most Cadillac collectors shun them.  At best, some may buy them to enjoy before they fail, but nobody wants to invest big money in a mint, low mileage one like yours and lose the investment later.   Rule of thumb is to buy them as cheap as possible and walk away when the engine melts down.

Beautiful cars though.

Guidematic

The continuing ignorance and BS about the HT4100 astonishes me. Especially here.

"Self destruct by 50,000 miles" Really? You say that like it's a guarantee.

And as if the presence of this engine renders the car worth no more than scrap value?

In fact there are many HT4100's out there, original to the car, that are performing flawlessly after many tens of thousands of miles. Yes. many of the early engines had problems. I will not dispute that.

Many cars had their original engines replaced with updated Goodwrench engines, or had the updates performed on them that make them as reliable as any engine out there.

To me a very nice low mileage Eldorado Biarritz is quite a desirable car. Engine issues or not.

As a matter of fact, the much touted N* has a much less than steller reputation.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Chris Conklin

To stick to Wes' question, and avoiding the veracity of opinions about the engine, it does keep the value of a very nice car very low. Good for a buyer... granted, a buyer that is prepared to give the car extra attention... not so good for you Wes, if you are thinking of selling the car. I would think that most collectors would hope that the majority of these cars self-destruct after 50K miles leaving very few in serviceable original condition, no?  ;)

That being said, the NADA pricing for the car is pretty surprising, ranges from $4,775 to just over $10K. Considering the condition and mileage you stated Wes, it could be worth a fair amount after all. Post some photos if you can.

http://www.nadaguides.com/
Chris Conklin

J

sounds like a nice car  and I had a 4100 last over 200,000 miles.... so must not all be bad,  Jessie
Cadillac got me!!!