News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

AT IT AGAIN..HELP '97 NORTHSTAR V8-4.6L VIN 9

Started by FRANK STAGNITTO, March 20, 2010, 10:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANK STAGNITTO

I AM AT IT AGAIN...SOME ONE MUST HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE '95-'99 NORTHSTAR, DEVILLE TO ELDO! 

WE ARE BESIDE OURSELVES. THE CAR IS AT THE LOCAL COLLEGE TEC.SHOP.  FROM THE START IT WAS SUGGESTED THE PROBLEM IS A CRACKED INTAKE MANIFOLD.  THIS WAS DETERMINED
BY A VERY SAVISICATED SMOKE TEST..ON A VERY EXPENSIVE PIECE OF EQUIPTMENT.  FROM THAT POINT, I WENT TO OUR LOCAL CAD DEALER..  PARTS GUY WANTED TO SEE THE MANIFOLD.  I TOOK THE PART TO THE COUNTER, HE CALLED THE
#1 SHOP TEC. WHO SAID THERE WERE NO CRACKS, THE PIECE WAS PERFECTLY FLAT, NO WARPED PARTS, INCLUDING THE GASKETS.  HE CHECKED THE  FUEL PRESSURE VALVE AND SUGGESTED IT MAY BE THE PROBLEM.  I PURCHASED A NEW SET OF GASKETS AND A PRESSURE VALVE.....BAM... SMOKE :'( :'([/u] AGAIN!  CHECKED THE TORC SETTINGS ALL PERFECT...STILL SMOKE !.  ATTEMPTING TO LOOK BEYOND THE MANIFOLD IT LOOKED AS IF THE SMOKE WAS COMING FROM UNDER THE M'FOLD.  HOWEVER, THAT IS THE VALLEY WHICH PUTS US IN THE BLOCK.  NO CRACKS IN THE BLOCK!!!  THE ONLY THING WE DETECTED WAS A WET DRIPPING UNDER THE PRESSURE VALVE BUT NO SMELL TO IT...AGAIN THAT WAS NEW, "O" RING IS SOFT SO THE PIECE IS FITTED TIGHTLY IN THE M'FOLD....

IF YOU CAN GETA DEALER  EXPLODED PICTURE  OF THE M'FOLD, CHECK #538, THAT IS THE PR FUEL VALVE.

GUYS, I AM ALL EARS ON THIS ONE!!!!  THE SMOKE TELLS THERE IS A "SOFT" SPOT SOME PLACE.

THERE IS A SAYING IF MAN MADE IT, MAN CAN FIX IT"  ARE YOU THE ONE?

FRANK STAGNITTO CLC 13539

Dave Shepherd

Frank, smoke from the manifold?, tailpipe, rich mixture, big piece of the puzzle is missing. Is this the smoke from the smoke test done?  A tech school is over their head with a N'star unless you are directing the work. If the intake was cracked you would have a vacuum leak, set a code and have an erratic idle.