News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Eldo starter issue

Started by jimi, March 21, 2010, 03:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimi

periodically the starter on my 1960 Eldo will just spin and not engage . If I turn the ingnition off and engage it again (it may take a couple of tries)  the starter will then engage as normal . My concern is that the problem may get progressively worse . thanks

Otto Skorzeny

It probably will get worse. Time to have it properly rebuilt.  This of course assumes everything else is perfect - connections, cables, no corrosion, etc.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Glen

When I have this problem I find it is the solenoid.  When the key is turned to start the solenoid does two things: 1) engage the starter gear into the flywheel. 2) connect the battery terminal to the motor terminal. 

The battery and motor terminals are copper bolts with square heads inside the solenoid. The electrical connection is made by a copper washer pressed against the heads of those bolts.  Each time the solenoid is operated the washer rotates a little bit to distribute the erosion.  But the heads of the bolt don’t fair so well.  Because the washer only contacts half the head it wears away until the washer just barely touches the worn bolt head. 

Sometimes the gears will not engage as the teeth clash.  But the electrical connection should still be made to turn the motor so the teeth will engage.  But if the bolt heads are worn the contact may not be made and noting happens.  You hear the solenoid click but that is all.  If you repeatedly try to start the engine the gears will walk a little until they engage and the contacts make and the motor spins as it should. 

The quick and dirty way to fix this is to remove all the wires and cables from the battery terminal. Back off the nut under the lugs and push the terminal/bolt into the solenoid enough you can turn it a half turn.  Then put it all back together.  The starter should work properly again. 

I did this to both my 68 ELDO and my 83 S10 pickup.  They are both still working after more than 5 years. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the Starter is spinning and the engine not turning, then the problem is in the area of the Bendix, that is the gear that the lever that is attached to the Solenoid, and the Flywheel/Ring Gear.

The best way to check is to remove the cover from the Bellhousing, and inspect the teeth on the Ring Gear.   These V8 Engines always stop is one of three positions, and the Bendix is ALWAYS working on these areas, and after many years, worn Bendix and constabt starting, the teeth can, and will wear away.

Plus, the one-way clutch within the Bendix can fail as well.

One way to check this is t9o remove the Starter and once on the bench, using a drift, and hammer, strike the Bendix Tooth in the opposite way to Starter Rotation.   If it slips, then it is faulty.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Angelo Van Bogart

I had a similar problem with the 390-cid V-8 in my '62 Coupe deVille for several years. About 8 years ago, I finally just replaced the solenoid (my starter is original and I didn't want to send it out, and besides, a solenoid is about $10 and available locally). Starter has engaged every time since. 
Angelo Van Bogart, CLC #11315