News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1953 Cadillac Exhaust thru bumper

Started by Mike Scott, March 21, 2010, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Scott

I have a 1953 Caddy Convertible.  I have rechromed the bumpers and the rear bumper is perfect.  I am running the car for the first time and am finding that the staining around the bumper exhaust ports is making a mess.  It would be very simple to reroute the exhaust to dump directly below the bumper thereby keeping the bumper chrome in much nicer condition.  But I wonder if this would be seen as a big negative in a car show or as a big negative by Caddy enthusiasts in general.

Has anyone out there rerouted their exhaust?  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Mike Scott

Otto Skorzeny

Lot's of people re route them but it looks like crap and defeats the uniqueness of the design. It is a negative in a judged show but who cares about that? You're driving a car that nobody else on the road has. It's worth it to keep it looking its best.

Keep the tips clean and waxed and the soot doesn't stick as easily. Clean them often.

I drive my '56 all the time and wiping down the exhaust ports is part of every gasoline fill up right there with cleaning the windshield and checking the fluids.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Tom D.

Look on ebay right now there is Caddy (52 or 53 I forgot) that has rerouted the exhaust and replaced the ports with brake lights.

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Mike, I agree with Forest about turning down the exhaust. With mine, I just keep it wiped down and waxed and it stays looking good. But it's your car and your choice. Don't be concerned others passing judgement. By the way, I use Speed Shine from Griot's Garage for that purpose. Works very well.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Mike Scott

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I am going to try the frequent cleaning and waxing route and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mike

P W Allen CLC# 20193

Mike,

Sure thing. Anytime. It would be nice to see some photos of your car. I'm always interested in other 53's.

Paul
Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine