News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A word to the wise about weights

Started by mgbeda, February 26, 2010, 07:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric S. Maypother #15104

So you might want to do as I did and stock up on wheel weights now, while you still can.  I found them at http://www.alltiresupply.com/ (which I found out about from another post on this forum).  Search their website for CAX.

Mike has a good idea, it is unlikely any/many CAX style weights will be made, if they do I'm sure they will have a Cadillac price. I don't know what year Cadillac started with that style hubcap but I'm guessing late 50's, till at least 1979 on standard disc hubcaps, wire hubcaps use standard weights. So is their a market for parts that were used for about 25 years and haven't been used on new cars in 30 years?

Hopefully is you stock up on them you'll find that being outlawed just means they can't be sold anymore but your local service station can still balance your tires with them if you bring in your own or you may have change them when you get home.

When I worked at a gas station we had a small box of assorted CAX weights, I think I'm the only 1 who even used them in the last 20 years.

A line in 1 of the links was funny, it said something like lead can be ingested by weights being found on the side on the road. Never once in my life no matter how hungry I've been ever saw a lead weight on the side of the road and thought "Gee that looks good to eat"
Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

John Morris #23947

I agree that the "threat" from weights & bullets is insignificant. But the military uses depleted uranium, not unprocessed. It is causing awful poisoning in areas of heavy use. My point was that to TOTALLY laugh off any possible harm caused by concentrations of heavy metals can cause disasters like Minamata. Are you denying that Minamata happened?
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

Guidematic

What a load of crap. The real lead weights are the very politicians that are so adamant about eliminating them.

I remember back in my days as an apprentice mechanic, all the tire machines had a special compartment for "Cadillac" weights. Too bad I never thought to save all the old ones. They simply went into the garbage bin with all the other old weights. No thought in this days to recycle them given their deadly toxicity. So, I suspect there are a lot more lead weights in our land fill sites than could ever be found on the side of the roads.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

bill henry

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on February 28, 2010, 05:01:06 AM
I agree that the "threat" from weights & bullets is insignificant. But the military uses depleted uranium, not unprocessed. It is causing awful poisoning in areas of heavy use. My point was that to TOTALLY laugh off any possible harm caused by concentrations of heavy metals can cause disasters like Minamata. Are you denying that Minamata happened?
No I do not deny that Minamata happened nor do I deny Love Canal or just 30 miles north of me a Superfund site called Bruin Lagoon. These were all cases of industrial malfeseance and should have been prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. but that said these cases are in no way comparable to wheel weights or bullets.One must also realize that a steel weight will have to be much larger than a lead weight of the same weight due to steel being much less dense. If enviromental concerns are real one must also look at the environmental impacts of steel production which I know first hand since I work in a steel mill. So what does the future hold sorry Mr. Henry we cant sell you a new bearing set for your 472 them there bearings had babbit in them and babbit is made outa lead.
Bill Henry

bill henry

All that said I go to a shop that balances the tires on the car with some kind of strobe device . they are able to put all the weights on the back and it rides smooth as silk.
Bill Henry

Guidematic

Now, am I correct in saying that fluorides are a by product of aluminum/fertiliser production, that it is one of the most toxic substances known, and that it the very chemical that is put into our drinking water? All that they say will make our teeth healthy and strong.

http://www.toxicfluoride.com/

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/fluoride.htm

Yet this is not only allowed, but promoted.

Mike

John Morris #23947

Bill, I SAID I agree on the bullets & weights. But, you are wrong about DEPLETED Uranium. It was enriched. I am ex nuc sub sailor. I know what depleted uranium is. Apparently you do not. It is very radioactive. It is a byproduct of Uranium enrichment. The U235 is used in bombs & power plants, leaving mostly U238. U238 in the form used to densen projectiles is certainly very radioactive. Nothing like the stuff pulled out of the ground.
  Back to weights, I certainly think it's rediculous to outlaw lead weights. That's environmental whacko loon stuff. But some of you sound like you spread heavy metals on your kids peanut butter sandwiches. You should at least be aware. When Tetraethyl Lead was 1st put in gasoline there were terrible accidents in the refinerys leaving scores dead and more men left quivering human wrecks for life.. 
71 Olds 98 LS, 66 Fairlane 500 XL Convertible, 55 Packard Clipper Super, 58 Edsel Ranger, 72 Cheyenne Super, many 49-60 parts cars, abandoned "House Of Doom" full of 49-60 parts. Huge piles of engine parts, brackets, tin, Hydramatic & Jetaway parts,  thousands of stainless moldings, dozens of perfect sedan doors.

bill henry

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on February 28, 2010, 04:45:30 PM
Bill, I SAID I agree on the bullets & weights. But, you are wrong about DEPLETED Uranium. It is from Nuc power plants. It was enriched. I am ex nuc sub sailor. Before we replaced the pellets at overhaul the boat could still do ahead flank speed. I know what depleted uranium is. Apparently you do not. It is very radioactive. Why do you think it is stored deep in storage ponds after being retired?
after you posted I did not dispute what you said about depleted uranium if you look back, obviously you know more about it than me. That said I think the original uranium  comment was off topic. But I agree it would be bad to have depleted uranium lying around. That said lets stir the pot some more I believe the whole R-12 thing was a scam and I think the bureaucracy that is the EPA must manufacture crisis after crisis just to justify its own existance.
Bill Henry

John Morris #23947

A line in 1 of the links was funny, it said something like lead can be ingested by weights being found on the side on the road. Never once in my life no matter how hungry I've been ever saw a lead weight on the side of the road and thought "Gee that looks good to eat" [quoting Eric]

Eric. Just a little thinking here. Lead gets pulverized to dust, ends up in a ditch. Due to it's weight it will concentrate like gold will. Maybe you like frog legs or watercress. No, I'm not a liberal, I'm independant. But, it's possible. Lead poisoning happens. Yes, the loons go 100 times too far. But it happens. It's ludicrous to outlaw lead weights. But a minimal awareness is my point.

John Morris #23947

Bill, I agree with you 1000% about the EPA. The national parks & forests are COLLATERAL to China and other countries who have bought trillions of US dept. [bonds] Hillary Clinton went to China last year and GAVE CHINA EMINENT DOMAIN over our national parks while begging for more loans! The biggest capitolist nation in history on her knees begging from the biggest communist nation in history. The irony is horrifying.

bill henry

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on February 28, 2010, 05:46:42 PM
Bill, I agree with you 1000% about the EPA. The national parks & forests are COLLATERAL to China and other countries who have bought trillions of US dept. [bonds] Hillary Clinton went to China last year and GAVE CHINA EMINENT DOMAIN over our national parks while begging for more loans! The biggest capitolist nation in history on her knees begging from the biggest communist nation in history. The irony is horrifying.
yes this is true but few people actually know about it . google U.N. world heritage site UNESCO
Bill Henry

Wayne Womble 12210

Quote from: bill henry on February 28, 2010, 05:21:22 PM
  That said lets stir the pot some more I believe the whole R-12 thing was a scam and I think the bureaucracy that is the EPA must manufacture crisis after crisis just to justify its own existance.

Yep. The theory is that, Dupont has been making powder and munitions etc. for the US Govt. since the war of 1812. Guess who was suffering because of the influx of R-12 which the patent has run out on. Simple, just ban the stuff and substitute a new product, which BTW, is basically the same product and is just as bad for the environment. That`s assuming that R-12 was actually bad for the environment.

Note: Didnt say it was my theory.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Isn't that why there are Lobbyists?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Guidematic

Quote from: John Morris #23947 on February 28, 2010, 05:46:42 PM

So true, so true. If the average person on the street knew of this, then there would be anarchy. The theory is the EPA was created to hide the fact that many of the natural resources have been locked up as collateral for foreign debt.

Many of the national parks cover up vast resources that are off limits to domestic development. And off shore drilling was banned to protect them from development so that they could be used as collateral for the spending habits of the government.

The DuPont family is as evil as the Rockefeller family. Banning R-12 was a ruse to protect their patents. Nothing more. Dig deep and you find many atrocities committed to the country by these powerful families.

Mike

Jerry Chase

I almost cried when the manager of the Providence, R. I. "Pete's Tire Barns" told me that when they bought out the
previous long-time operation in the same building off Allens Avenue ["City Tire"], that the new owners thew out boxes
of brand new "Cadillac" wheel weights!!

Even before this (proposed) ban, such were getting hard to get.   If we only knew what those government
do-gooder bozos were going to ban next, we could "stock up"!!

Yeah; by the way, it's time to start hoarding incandescent light bulbs.   They're planned for extinction within a
couple years.   Honest.

:(

tony m

Everyone is worried about pollutants in our drinking water, textiles we use, air we breathe, quality of  medicines we put in our bodies, etc., etc.  Yet most Americans give no thought at all to buying produce and grains from foreign countries which we consume with no regard to whether its been grown and processed in a safe manner......

Makes ya think, Huh?

Tony M.

Mike Simmons 938

Quote from: mgbeda on February 26, 2010, 07:21:24 PM
Hi Folks,

I noticed in a letter to Click and Clack (the Car Talk hosts) that apparently the latest evil we are to be protected from is lead wheel weights.  It seems they are starting to get outlawed, state by state.

Now I have no problem with using steel wheel weights instead BUT the thought occurred to me that it's not too likely that anyone will make new steel CAX or Cadillac style wheel weights (with the extra clearance for the full wheel covers).  As far as I know even Cadillacs haven't used these for years.

So you might want to do as I did and stock up on wheel weights now, while you still can.  I found them at http://www.alltiresupply.com/ (which I found out about from another post on this forum).  Search their website for CAX.

-mB
Alas- if you're from California or Maine-All Tire won't ship you any lead weights. They say they will refund orders as other states come on line with the same ban.
bummer.