News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Which Cadillac Has The "Biggest" Fins?

Started by CNF, May 29, 2010, 07:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNF

I searched for the term "biggest" on this forum and did not find an answer to the question of biggest fins.  I assume it would be a 1959 or 1960 Cadillac.  Does the model make a difference?  What is the criteria for biggest---volume or height or length or width or ??  Thanks in advance.

Misfit

Is there any doubt?

Fins

quadfins

Doubt?

What do we mean by biggest?

Are we talking height only, then '59 wins, But what about area? I would then nominate '61, since they have both upper AND lower fins.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

JKF

Easy:

Answer is Seville/Biarritz 1957-58!
Fins on other models are just "bulb-holders"... ;D

/JKF

The Tassie Devil(le)

Exactly.

I was going to say that the "Fin" doesn't actually start till it is above the light pod.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

I have to agree with Jim - four fins are better than two!  Of course, I'm a bit biased.   ;)
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

quadfins

Biased?

No, you just comprehend reality.

Of course, there are some Chrysler partisans who might discount our choices altogether...

Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Brett Cottel

Guys are always arguing about size...... >:D
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Stewart Homan

Doesn't a 61 and 62 have 2 fins and 2 'skegs'?

JKF

Well... According to the two variables linear equations when you have a positive constant for x (upper fin) and a negative constant for the lower fin, my conclusion is that the sum of any quadfin is about ½" in total.  ;D

/JKF

Dan LeBlanc

A fin by any other name is still a fin.  I think they were just called skegs because Cadillac was in the beginning phases of getting away from fins under Bill Mitchell.  Calling them fins would have been counter productive.

The styling project for the 1961 actually began in 1958, so, before fins rose to their greatest height they were already beginning to phase them out. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Otto Skorzeny

Maybe so but skeg is a nautical term which describes these lower fins more accurately.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE