News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Overdrive added to existing transmissions

Started by Stinson, March 24, 2010, 04:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

http://www.gearvendors.com/

Hello,
I just found out about this vendor who makes over and under drive units to fit Cadillacs as a bolt on system and changes nothing, but makes the car safer to drive and better on gas mileage.

See what they have done to a 34 (?) LaSalle.

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

35-709

They have been around for some time and I have only heard good things about them.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I have also heard good things about their products but have also been told to do the math. The stuff is not cheap so you got to look at how many miles will be your break even point.  Not that it matters many of us dont have old cars to save money and I for one like to be different.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

35-709

Was thinking of using a Gear Vendors overdrive a few years ago in my '72 Chevy pickup with 3.73 rear gears --- was cheaper (but not by a whole lot) to replace the TH-350 in it with a rebuilt 700R4, which I did and that works well for me.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Stinson

I will get 10 mpg on this V-12 and one quart of oil per tank of gas without the unite, and can only drive about 55 mph. Plan to drive to California from Maryland and hope there would be an improvement, and less wear on the engine.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Otto Skorzeny

Ten mpg and 55 mph isn't bad at all for a car like that. How fast are you planning on driving?

How much are they quoting for the conversion? Do they give you an estimate of improved fuel economy?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Stinson

Hello Otto,
I am waiting for the vendor's answers to such questions. I don't plan to over push the car (Retired, I will have plenty of time to get there). I just don't want the engine constantly winding up rpm to reach 55 mph accross the country.

Here, in Maryland) a man and his daughter were recently killed in an antique car trying to gain speed turning onto a beltway.

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Stinson

Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Otto Skorzeny

A Model T should never be on an interstate highway. I've driven a Model A and they aren't capable of rapid acceleration. If you're entering a freeway in one you'd better have it at 50+ on the on ramp or you're doomed. That sounds more like a crash that can be blamed on the driver rather than the car.
fward

Jim Stamper

I think the accident in question was a Model A roadster pickup father and daughter had restored. The restoration was described in a magazine (AACA) I think, might have been something else, followed by a complete bummer addendum to the story about the fatal accident. Just awful.     Jim43

Stinson

You are right Jim. It was in the local news. Seems that a driver on a cell phone slammed into the rear of their car. Seat belts may not have even done any good.

Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

robert G. smits

Good evening Ty.  I agree with your concern about rpm, wear, noise ect.  Increased gas milage will never pay for the conversion so don't worry about it.  I had a GV unit installed in a 90 Airstream motor home that I used to tow my 31 v12 and 38 v16 to car shows in the 90's and I loved it.  I never had a moments trouble for 50K miles.  A member of my old AACA club in Des Moines installed a mid 90's Dodge pick up 4 speed with OD in his 38 LaSalle and tours extensively with it.  If interested I can get contact information for you.  Have you converted to Disc brakes, radial tires, electric fuel pump ect?  Bob
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

Stinson

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your response. No, I have kept most of the car as original as I can. However, because I want to drive it cross country for my retirement "Freedom Ride", I'm installing new Zenith updrafts in place of the Detroits. Advantage is that I will not have to take them off every 1,500 ft in elevation change to swap internal jets. So, I'm also considering a new GV unit for the 2nd to 3rd and 3rd OD advntages. As I understand it, that will cut 500 to 600 rpm down and cruse at about 65 mph. The cost is about $3,000 plus driveshaft length reduction. I have installed new brakes and SS lines but thinking of a dual master cylinder for safety. Had not thought about an electric fuel pump but should consider adding one I guess. I have had new smoothie six-lug wheels made (one third of the weight) for the trip and will install radials. Having the V-12 rebuilt for the trip. Wish I could use a new electronic system to replace the rotor and cap, and stay 6 volts.
Question, did your friend change the engine or just use the 4 speed (manual ?) transmission on his 38 LaSalle V-8? How did that mount?
Many thanks,
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

robert G. smits

Sorry for the delay but I have been out of commission for the past couple of months.  The 38 LaSalle uses a adapter for the bell housing to transmission connection.  If you are still interested in the details I can provide my friends contact information.  Please email me directly.  Forgive me if this is redundant but mount the electric pump relatively close to the fuel tank with a fuel filter  on the inlet side.  Also use a low pressure pump preferrably rotary with 4-6 pounds of pressure. A off/on switch is mandatory.  As for radial tires I would recommend Diamondback Tires.  They vulcanize the correct whitewalls on Michlen radials.  I have them on a 52 Olds, 32 Cad and 41 Cad, all of which I use for touring. 
Bob Smits
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

bcroe

If you really want an electronic ignition to get rid of the distributor, you could do it cheaply using some crank trigger ignition parts.  One trigger wheel on the crank, and 2 complete 6 cylinder ignition systems.  You'd have a 6 wire coil pack on each bank, cost around $300 for parts and quite a lot of labor to set it all up.  Those are some common parts, a custom brand new system might be 10 times that.  Oh, but you would need a voltage booster at about 4A to supply 12 volts.  You could probably improve engine performance too.  See my first project (but not the last) on PHOTOBUCKET, album CRANK TRIGGER IGNITION.  Bruce Roe

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album
  click on a picture to enlarge + description