News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hydra-matic torus cover bolts??

Started by J. Gomez, March 24, 2010, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Gomez

Folks,

I’m at the last stage of my two Hydra-matic rebuilds; one item that is currently holding me down is trying to find 6 of the lug bolts before bolting the flywheel. These are the ones press in the torus fluid coupling cover about 12 of them (they look similar to wheel lugs) and should be # 861 6889 5/16”x1 24 thread.

I’ve search all over with several nomenclature studs, serrated stud, knurl stud, etc and visited several local fastener place with no luck. I am not sure if they exist anymore being such small size.  ???

Since those in need of replacements are in different places not sure if using  plain 8 grade hex bolt could off balance the weight distribution at the flywheel.

Any leads or alternatives????
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Jim Sparrow

Have you tried looking in Hemmings Motor News? While I'm no expert in this area, I subscribe to Hemmings, and there are companies that advertise Hydra-Matic rebuilding. My thinking is maybe one of those companies will sell you the fasteners that you need or be able to tell you where you can buy them. Good luck! Hope that helps.    -Jim

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the worst comes to the worst, a good Machine Shop should be able to make you what you need, and once turned up, Heat Treating isn't a problem.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

J. Gomez

Jim, Bruce,

Thanks for your feedback..!

I did check with a few transmission shops with no luck..! I’ll keep checking around and will inquire with a machine shop about making these depending on the cost.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

phildeville@cox.net

Jose,
Try McMaster-Carr in LA.
www.mcmaster.com

If you have to make them, use pre heat treated chrommolly bar stock.  Bolt guys call it "B-7" & machine shops refer to it as 4142HTSR - (Heat Treat Stress Releived)
You won't have to worry about distortion during the heat treating.
Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

J. Gomez

Quote from: Phil Terry # 15270 on March 29, 2010, 04:42:54 PM
Jose,
Try McMaster-Carr in LA.
www.mcmaster.com

If you have to make them, use pre heat treated chrommolly bar stock.  Bolt guys call it "B-7" & machine shops refer to it as 4142HTSR - (Heat Treat Stress Releived)
You won't have to worry about distortion during the heat treating.
Phil

Phil,

McMaster was my first search, with no luck..!  :(

Cool thanks for the 411 on the bolt machining material.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Johnbezik#15976

Did you try Fatsco in New Jersey??They sell a lot of Hydramatic hard parts and you won't have to go through the problem of having them custom machined.

J. Gomez

Quote from: Johnbezik#15976 on March 30, 2010, 12:34:45 AM
Did you try Fatsco in New Jersey??They sell a lot of Hydramatic hard parts and you won't have to go through the problem of having them custom machined.

I did for the master kit but did not ask them if they carry other miscellaneous items such as bolts/studs. I’ll given them a buzz tomorrow thanks for the hint..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082