News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 What is the Component on the Firewall ??

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, March 26, 2010, 08:50:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello, Can someone explain the function of the white ceramic electrical  component about 3 inches long and about 1.5 inches wide , located looking at the firewall ,to the left of the Hydorvac or power brake booster . Thanks Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Coupe

1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

TJ Hopland

I would think ballast resistor for the ignition system but I dont own or work on 57's so will go with what the experts say.

It must have more than 2 terminals on it?  Thinking it would need at least 3 to get 3 speeds assuming 'off' is not counted as a speed and 'hi' is full power?   When did they start putting those in the air boxes?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Brett Cottel

Quote from: TJ Hopland on March 26, 2010, 10:26:48 AM
I would think ballast resistor for the ignition system but I dont own or work on 57's so will go with what the experts say.

It must have more than 2 terminals on it?  Thinking it would need at least 3 to get 3 speeds assuming 'off' is not counted as a speed and 'hi' is full power?   When did they start putting those in the air boxes?

My 55 has the 3 inch long ignition ballast resistor as well.
1955 Cadillac Meteor Combination Coach
CLC #27535
Pic's at http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/ae293/brettcottel/

Coupe

On my '57 the ballast resistor for the ignition is on the firewall to the left of the distributor. The ballast resistor for the heater fan is just to the left of the booster. To clarify, left is when standing in front of the car facing the engine.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

57flw

Hi Bill,

To help sort out which block you are talking about please pick one from the photo's provided. This should help everyone.

Hope I can assist.

Ken

Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

J Kjerrulf

Looks as I have 2 on passenger side and one on drivers side... A/C?
/J Kjerrulf
Eldorado Seville 1957

Bill Balkie 24172

Hello Ken,
  It is the photo 032 with the 3 wires .  Thanks for your help .
Thanks bill
Quote from: 57flw on March 26, 2010, 10:10:47 PM
Hi Bill,

To help sort out which block you are talking about please pick one from the photo's provided. This should help everyone.

Hope I can assist.

Ken

Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Bill Balkie 24172

Again , thanks to everyone  who responded to my question , this site always is a huge help .  thanks Bill
Quote from: Bill Balkie 24172 on March 28, 2010, 08:41:02 AM
Hello Ken,
  It is the photo 032 with the 3 wires .  Thanks for your help .
Thanks bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

57flw

Hi Bill,

As Paul Flykt(Coupe) said, it is the Heater Resister.

I haven't refitted mine yet but I do have a colour wiring circuit for it if you need any further help.

Regards

Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood