News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 CDV drag link

Started by jeff elliott CLC #23590, March 27, 2010, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff elliott CLC #23590

hi,
is it possible to replace the ball joints on either end of the drag link, or do I need to replace the complete item.
regards Jeff

Dave Shepherd

You will need the complete center link.

jim thomas

IFt ii's strright(the center nlink) replacce the TIE RODS  ends , availabl at NAPA, talk  to soomeone  who has been there the longest. uji

jeff elliott CLC #23590

thanks for replies,
the play on the drag link was picked up by the mechanic who carried out the annual  M.O.T inspection on my car, the car passed ok, however, it will need looking at in future, the play is at the driver side (pitman arm joint) I think as I was only offered a quick glimpse of the problem.
looking at the diag, of the steering linkage in the workshop manual (fig.9.2) it would appear the play is between the pitman arm and the drag link, any advice welcome, napa unfortunately don't ship to the UK.
regards Jeff

Dave Shepherd

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Jeff,
The ball joint where the pitman arm is attached to the drag link (or center link) is a part of the center link and not usually replaceable.  A worn center link to pitman arm joint results in erratic steering and the car will wander.  Again depending upon the severity of the joint this can range from just annoying to a dangerous condition where the vehicle should not be driven.
This ios a part that used to be reasonably priced when MOOG still made it, but is currently not being produced by the "majors".  The last 2 that I bought were from a company called "Rare Parts", and I have had exceptionally good luck with them.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it is only the Rubber Bushing that is gone, then I am sure that there is a place in England that can "re-bush" it for you.

There is a place here in Australia that I have used years ago, but the postage would be horrendous.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jeff elliott CLC #23590

Thanks for all replies,
once again the CLC has come up trumps, I bought a drag link from rock auto today at $42.79 (bargain) ,however, I'm having to pay + $70 for shipping and UK taxes (sigh) that's life.
regards Jeff