News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'56 Rear Shock Question

Started by Charlie Petty, March 28, 2010, 07:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Petty

I bought a set of NAPA shocks for my '56.  The fronts are O.K., but the rears are 3/4" too short.  Can't tighten them down even with all the weight on the axle.  I did not check with the store yet; hopefully they can figure it out. 
Any advice on a shock brand or source that you have used that fits correctly?
Thanks,
Charlie 

J. Gomez

Quote from: Charlie Petty on March 28, 2010, 07:15:03 PM
I bought a set of NAPA shocks for my '56.  The fronts are O.K., but the rears are 3/4" too short.  Can't tighten them down even with all the weight on the axle.  I did not check with the store yet; hopefully they can figure it out. 
Any advice on a shock brand or source that you have used that fits correctly?
Thanks,
Charlie 

Charlie,

For Gabriel the part # is 82034, and for Monroe the part # is 31125. I think NAPA has the Monroe listed as their part # RR94049 can't say for sure if these are equivalent.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Charlie Petty

Jose-  Yes, I have NAPA #94049, which is a Monroe shock.  I will check into the Gabriel.

I am taking all four of the original shocks off this car, so I know what the exact dimensions are supposed to be.   

Thanks again,
Charlie

Otto Skorzeny

Another guy on this board had the same problem with a '57. He used slightly thinner rubber bushings in order to gain a purchase on the threads.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Charlie Petty

Otto-  I can get the shock nuts on.  The problem is that, even with all the car weight on the axle, the outer bushing will compress and the inner bushing will not at all.  I end up with an outer bushing that is almost crushed flat, and the inner is untouched, with shaft showing between it and the axle mount.  When tightening the second nut, the shock is essentially trying to pull the body/frame down to the axle. 

THanks
Charlie

Otto Skorzeny

Ok I see what you're saying. That sounds weird especially since Jose has the same ones on his car.
fward

J. Gomez

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on March 28, 2010, 10:05:52 PM
Ok I see what you're saying. That sounds weird especially since Jose has the same ones on his car.

Forrest,

I replace mine about 5 years ago with Gabriel's I got the set from Autozone. What I’m not sure if the Monroe are the correct ones, per their catalog they listed the 31125 as replacement for 1955-1960 but Gabriel has the 82034 for 1955-1956 and 82125 for 1957-1960. We know there are different parts for 1955-1956 and 1957-1960, and per Charlie’s dilemma the Monroe may not be the correct ones.  ???
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Otto Skorzeny

I currently have air shocks on the rear and I don't remember what I have on the front. I think they came from Advanced Auto. Either way they were a perfect fit. Before I put the air shocks on the rear, they were off the shelf from Advanced Auto as well.
fward

phildeville@cox.net

Forrest,
How do you like the air shocks?  I'm thinking of putting them on my '54.
Phil
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Otto Skorzeny

I love them. I rebuiltthe entire front and rear suspension using heavy duty springs and standard shocks. These cars are so heavy that I noticed the rear end settling within a year. I decided to give the air shocks a try. They don't make the ride hard or anything. They keep the rear end sitting at the height I want.

That was about 6 years or so ago.

They can be filled to 200psi but I keep them at 100psi and it works just fine.
fward

phildeville@cox.net

What was the brand /cost?
Do you have an onboard air compressor?
Phil Terry  CLC# 15270

Charlie Petty

Quote from: Jose Gomez CLC #23082 on March 29, 2010, 08:21:35 AM
Forrest,

I replace mine about 5 years ago with Gabriel's I got the set from Autozone. What I’m not sure if the Monroe are the correct ones, per their catalog they listed the 31125 as replacement for 1955-1960 but Gabriel has the 82034 for 1955-1956 and 82125 for 1957-1960. We know there are different parts for 1955-1956 and 1957-1960, and per Charlie’s dilemma the Monroe may not be the correct ones.  ???

Jose-  I got a set of Gabriel and they do fit.  The Monroe shock is definitely too short and not correct.  Thanks.

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Phil, I don't have an on board compressor. I filled them up when I put them on and have never had to  touch them again. I bought them from Kanter at the time for about $150. They are available elsewhere for about half that.
fward