News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

49 resto project questions

Started by ccp49, March 28, 2010, 10:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccp49

I have some questions for anyone out there who has gone down this path with a '49:
1. Where can I find the recipe/paint code for beach beige, which is the paint for the convertible top frame, the steering column, and the stripe along door panels and dash?  There must be an equivalent color used in later years and by other makes.
2. Is there supposed to be some kind of brace inside the back of the rear fender, right where the sheet metal lines up with the rear bumper?  That part of the fender seems a little unsupported.
3. From the factory, there is some insulation between the deck lid and the formed sheet metal on the inside that is used to stiffen the deck lid.  What has anyone used as a replacement? It appears this material was put in place before the deck lid was assembled with its inner and outer skins, and so it looks difficult to reproduce.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or guidance!
Dan

Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

herman clc#19416

The paint code is not able to be matched...so just have your painter eye match it and the same with the top frame.

Yes ......there is a fender support at the very rear of the fender that bolts to the frame and extends to the fender edge at the bottom with 2 bolts and two nuts at each place of attachment. It is about 2 inches wide and about   11 inches long with oblong holes to make adjustment to  pull in or pull out the bottom of the fender.  One end is flat where it mounts to the frame and the other end has a 90 degree bend up to meet the febder holes and is mopunted at an angle.

The waffle sound deadening material almost like roofing felt (a tar paper type material) is used on the underside of the trunk lid and also in the interior of the car between the floor sheet metal and the jute carpet backing.  It is also used on the floor of the trunk under the trunk material (which in 48 & 49 was a tan cross-stich with a blue thread running thru the tan fabric) This tar paper material is sold by a Lincoln restration supplier in Riverside CA whose name is Mark II Enterprises.  The material comes by the foot.  Google them and it should come up with a catalogue.

Hope this answers your questions and email me if you need other info as I cowrote the 48-49 authencity manual and did a 48 convertibe body off and am currently doing a complete restor  of a 49.

Herman

J. Friedman

Quote from: ccp49 on March 28, 2010, 10:35:21 PM
I have some questions for anyone out there who has gone down this path with a '49:
1. Where can I find the recipe/paint code for beach beige, which is the paint for the convertible top frame, the steering column, and the stripe along door panels and dash?  There must be an equivalent color used in later years and by other makes.
2. Is there supposed to be some kind of brace inside the back of the rear fender, right where the sheet metal lines up with the rear bumper?  That part of the fender seems a little unsupported.
3. From the factory, there is some insulation between the deck lid and the formed sheet metal on the inside that is used to stiffen the deck lid.  What has anyone used as a replacement? It appears this material was put in place before the deck lid was assembled with its inner and outer skins, and so it looks difficult to reproduce.  Any ideas?

Thanks for any help or guidance!
Dan  

1. the only paint code in Cadillac literature for Beach Beige is from, R&M, the manufacurer of the paint, which is "10852".  Maybe an automotive paint store can determine the mixing formula from that code.  

2. Yes, there is supposed to be a brace inside the back of the rear fender where the sheet metal lines up with the rear bumper.  It is a flat steel brace, about 2 inches wide, held to the lowest point of the rear of the fender by 2 bolt & nut sets, one vertically on top of the other.  After a couple of inches the brace then bends to a horizontal orientation and goes back for about 8 inches at a 45 degree angle to a point on the frame where it is attached by 2 bolt & nut sets, one next to the other about 1 inch apart.  

3.  Don't know of any supplier of the trunk insulation you refer to, but if anyone has it, it would be Jenkins Restoration in N. Wilkesboro NC.

Jay

J. Friedman

Whoops!  Herman and I wrote replies at exactly the same time.  Herman is indeed the man to ask about anything to do with 48-49 convertibles. 

I would advise buying the Authenticity Manual he refers to as wells as join the Forty Niners Chapter of the Cadillac LaSalle Club.  Info on both are at the left hand column of the Home page of this web site.

Jay

ccp49

thanks, guys, for the help.  I'll check out Lincoln Restoration for the insulating material.   
I'll look around for that brace, but it sounds easy enough to fabricate.  The only fear I have is that the flange on the fender is gone!  The car is at the body shop. and so I'll pass along the info.
Jay, any chance you could take a pic of yours so I can have a reference? 

Dan
Dan Barbieri
'49 Conv "in the works"
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Jeff Maltby 4194

Here's a picture of the rear fender brace near the orange handle. I'll take a better one today and post.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Dan B.

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on March 29, 2010, 11:16:48 AM
Here's a picture of the rear fender brace near the orange handle. I'll take a better one today and post.

Thanks, Jeff.
I might just have one of those in my box of random parts!  A better pic of the mount on the fender would be great.

Dan

Jeff Maltby 4194

Just for you Dan :<)

PS. Have I sold you 49 parts on ebay prior ?
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500