News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Conv rear window

Started by J I Garner, March 29, 2010, 09:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J I Garner

Would it be better to use a glass or plastic rear window on my 62 eldo? Why?
Jim

Dan LeBlanc

Glass - definitely glass.  No hazing, easier to clean, doesn't scratch when you clean it.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Greg McDonnell

Quote from: J I Garner on March 29, 2010, 09:07:42 AM
Would it be better to use a glass or plastic rear window on my 62 eldo? Why?
Jim

Jim,

The answer to your question depends upon what degree of authenticity you are looking for.  If I am not mistaken, tempered glass rear windows were not introduced on Cadillac convertibles until sometime during the '65 model year.  My '66 Eldorado has a glass window and it came that way from the factory.  Your '62 came from the factory with a plastic rear window.  If you are trying to authentically recreate what your car left the factory with, it should be plastic.  If you aren't interested in authenticity, have a top made with a glass rear window.  They are crystal clear and will remain that way whereas the plastic windows can get hazy or scratched in time and become difficult to see out of.  Proper care and maintenance will lessen the chances of this happening, however. 

Best regards,

Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

J I Garner

Thanks for your input. I think I will go with the glass. I am not going for total authenticity. It will be a nice restoration that can be driven and will have some modern creature comforts. I am installing an electronic cruise control and a second radio. The upholstery and color will agree with the data plate. All the numbers match on the car also. I am almost ready for the interior and top. I should be driving it before the year's end. The car has factory bucket seats.
Jim

Greg McDonnell

Jim,

Another thought:  The plastic window is flexible, obviously, where the glass window is not.  The folding mechanism on your '62 may not accomodate a rigid piece of glass in which case you would have to unzip the glass window every time you lower the top.  That would be a hassle in and of itself but the reall pain in the a** comes when you have to rezip that heavy glass window back into place!  It's a struggle to hold it in place with one hand and try to line up the zipper for zipping. >:( 

If I were you I'd make certain the glass window will work with your top mechanism before ordering it.  You might not be able to return it.

Greg
Greg McDonnell
CLC #20841

J I Garner

I was told that the window would have to be unzipped to fold the top down. I had not thought of the weight issue.
Jim

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Gless is NOT a good choice.
1 The well was not designed for glass.

2 The glass has to be much smaller than the plastic.

3 It looks wierd.

4 Plastic will lst for years with proper care.

HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

J I Garner

I'm convinced. It will be plastic. Thanks
Jim

Dan LeBlanc

As a former veteran glass guy, weight should not be an issue.  If 1/4" clear tempered glass is used, it only weighs about 3 1/4" pounds per square foot.  It won't be as heavy as one thinks.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TonyZappone #2624

Half the fun of driving a convertible is driving around with the top up and the back window unzipped.  Hard to do with glass, I have broken at least one, lowering the top on them, etc.  Driving an old convertible on a hot sunny day can be a great pleasure with the back window unzipped and air blowing through.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle