News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rebuild pumps myself? Or just get exchanges?

Started by Andrew Pullin, March 31, 2010, 03:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Pullin

Hey folks. So, I've got the engine out of my 39 LaSalle S50 (actually maybe it's a '40? I should sort that out...), and it's all apart. I am doing some top level planning here, and I could use some input.

Which of the accessory parts should I rebuild myself, and which should I just send off for exchange? Amazingly, the price from Coopers or Kanter's for exchange fuel pump, water pump, and oil pump aren't hugely more than just the parts kits.

Along the same lines, what should I do for the generator and starter? Myself, or send them out? Although I am considering putting in an alternator in place of the generator, to make the car more usable, so maybe I won't need to rebuild the generator.
Andrew Pullin
1940 La Salle Superior hearse
http://andrewpull.in/hearse/

Otto Skorzeny

If you do decide to use an alternator, check out the Power Gen. It's a brand new alternator built to look like the old Delco generators and are bolt in replacements. They are available in 6v and 12v from Summit.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mark Lowery

Andrew,
I'll leave it to others to comment on some of the other units you mention, but there is a lot to know about water pumps.  I suggest that you enter "Water Pumps" into the search function as well as "Water Pump Seals".  Some very interesting discussions, and the long and short of it is you can come up w/ a more dependable unit if it is rebuilt to other than original factory spec.  There is an outfit in Oregon that provides this service, and there is mention of Arms Pumps in Berkeley also doing some modifications to the original pumps to accommodate a more modern lip type seal.  Otis Whit has also published an extensive description of the procedure used to upgrade the seals.

As to the oil pump, I'm asking myself the same question;  rebuild or exchange.  Pretty simple device.  Once you change the gears and dress the end plate, I can't see that much more needs to be done.  Perhaps check the bypass valve and spring. 

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Otto Skorzeny

Otis Whit has also published an extensive description of the procedure used to upgrade the seals.
That's Whit Otis, by the way.

For oil pump kits I'd go with Terrill Machine or Cooper's rather than Kanter.

For water pump rebuilds, check out Arthur Gould and The Flying Dutchman. Gould has rebuilt pumps in stock , ready to go.

Contact information for all the above (except Whit Otis) can be found by clicking the link in my signature. Whit will probably see this post anyway.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Arthur Gould does the best work on fuel pumps, water pumps of anybody I know.  He's
rebuilt several for me and they come back as good or better than new.  HE's been doing
this for many years.

Arthur Gould Rebuilders, 5R Main St, Kings Park, NY 11754, 631-269-0093

Mike

1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Jim Sparrow

Personally I would say if you enjoy doing the rebuilds, have the time, tools, and skills, you should do it yourself. Even if it is something you've never done but think it would be fun, go for it. As an example I'd never attempt a carb. rebuild. But I really enjoy working on early Climate Control systems. Hope that helps.    -Jim

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Try everything yourself as long as you have the equipment. If you have a pump press, try the water pump, if you have electrical tools, know how to wrap an armature, check the magnetic flow and gauges, do the generator and so on.
If it doesn't work after you are done, at least you tried and had fun learning and doing it yourself. Take your time. The men who built your car back in the day were not rocket scientists, they were line workers. I always felt, if they could do it I could do it.
I have always rebuilt SU carbs for my Jaguars so I recently rebuilt my tri power on my GTO and it came out great. It's when you have trepidations  about things, is when you usually don't tackle the project. I personally have always liked to try and read the manual and ask questions here and there. You can always send it out if you screw it up. If you don't and it runs fine...............then you can watch Karloff in "Frankenstein" and say "It's alive".

Good-Luck
Jack