News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

61 Caddy Water Pump Question

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, April 02, 2010, 05:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

What is the hole for on the bottom of the shaft on the water pump body? I had mine rebuilt 3 times in 5 years and now it's leaking under the pump, running to the lower hose connect on the pump and it made it look like I had a bad lower hose. I couldn't see it till I removed the pump. I just said "enough to rebuilds" and I just received a new pump from Ebay for $174.00 delivered. I don't care about stampings on the pump housing as I am just too old to keep on doing exchanging water pumps that should last quite a few years. It looks like the same one that Kanter sells for $80.00 less. I am glad that someone is finally recasting water pumps for a 390 Caddy motor.

Jack

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Jack,

The hole is there to act as a drain when the Shaft Seal starts to leak.

This way, the actual Bearing won't get compromised by coolant getting into it and rusting the bearing surfaces.

If it is leaking at the hole, then the Water Pump requires replacing.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on April 02, 2010, 07:52:54 PM
G'day Jack,

The hole is there to act as a drain when the Shaft Seal starts to leak.

This way, the actual Bearing won't get compromised by coolant getting into it and rusting the bearing surfaces.

If it is leaking at the hole, then the Water Pump requires replacing.

Bloody Hell!
Bruce, How have you been?
Bruce, this is why when I found that brand new water pump I bought it. I had mine rebuilt 3 times in the past 5 years and I had to remove and replace it 4 times. I am sick of doing that job to my 61 Cadillac. I hope that this brand new reproduction lasts a lot longer than the one that I had rebuilt by 2 different builders. I couldn't tell that the hole was the culprit from the top looking down. I thought it was the lower hose. I drained the system and I bought a new hose and I put Permatex gray on the inner part of the lower hose and it still leaked. I got real pissed off, as I also have to tap and put in a heli coil by my Y pipe on one side of the exhaust manifold where the heat control valve is and the studs screw in. But I am real sick of changing the water pump like it is an oil change. My back is killing me. I thought that a good water pump should last, at least 50,000 miles of use.
When are you comin' to the states?
I feel real bad that I missed you in Jersey last year. Bloody wife had to get ill.
Jack

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Jack Miller CLC# 24441 on April 02, 2010, 08:42:11 PM
Bruce, How have you been?     When are you comin' to the states?
I feel real bad that I missed you in Jersey last year. Bloody wife had to get ill.
Jack
Hi Jack,

I am still alive and kicking, and not sure when I will be coming back to your side.   Europe next year.

PS.   Jersey was 2 years ago ;)

PPS.   If I ever get back for a GN, I think I will sit myself at the front door of the Hotel all week with a sign reading "Looking for the Tassie Devil(le), look no further"
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on April 03, 2010, 11:57:07 PM
Hi Jack,

I am still alive and kicking, and not sure when I will be coming back to your side.   Europe next year.

PS.   Jersey was 2 years ago ;)

PPS.   If I ever get back for a GN, I think I will sit myself at the front door of the Hotel all week with a sign reading "Looking for the Tassie Devil(le), look no further"

We will meet someday "Watson"