News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tranny Cooling Lines...

Started by Rick Biarritz, April 05, 2010, 08:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

Correct me if I am wrong, boys, but if I see a six inch section of rubber hose wrapped around my TC line and secured with hose clamps, somewhere in the middle of the line near the oil filter, this is a bad thing, right?  This is not factory?  This is a jerry-rigged repair, yes?  I'll be checking the shop manual here momentarily, but I always like to come here first.  Thanks. 

The Tassie Devil(le)

Could be put there to stop the line chafing against something?

Or covering a repair?

But, with hose clamps, I am leading to it being a temporary repair because the pipe has been broken.

Definitely not factory.

But, also, there is no real pressure in the Trans Cooler Lines.   Only flow to and from the Cooler.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Rick Biarritz

Pressure or not, the line would leak if it were damaged, and there is a drop of fluid hanging off the end of the rubber hose, and there's a big puddle on my garage floor.  I think I've tracked down my problem!  Cool.  This is becoming a trend for me.   

The Tassie Devil(le)

If it is leaking, then the person that did the "Repairs" either used the wrong hose, material and or size, and didn't flare each end of the pipe before attaching the hose.

Definitely worth having a good hard look at it.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Rick Biarritz

If that line was damaged, would you attempt to repair it, or would you simply replace it? 

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have repaired, and replaced many tubes in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

Replacing them is easy, if you have the correct Double Flaring tools, and tubing enders.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

I have had lines rust out where the clips are that attach them.   I have also seen where someone has cut them because the nuts were rusted so they would not spin out.   Repairing them with hose functions just fine since the pressure is low.  Many people seem to use fuel line, Im not sure if its the temps or the fluid but they turn to leaky goo fairly quickly.  Parts stores sell transmission cooler line which as you would hope works rather well for transmission cooler lines.   If you have a hydraulic shop around they have the right stuff also sine a transmission is a hydraulic system.  A steel repair/ replacement would last longer since hose would last about as long as any other hose but I have never found it to be a huge issue as long as you use the proper hose. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mgbeda

I've used copper tubing in the past with no problems.  It is easier to bend into shape than steel but looks neater than hoses.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)