News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Distributor drive gear

Started by Herman clc19416, April 07, 2010, 01:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman clc19416

It appears when assembling my 1949 331 engine the distributr drive gear was not placed correctly and the #1 plug wire does not go to the right spot in the cap.  Can the gear be lifted and repositioned by pulling it up and reseating from the top once the distributor is pulled up and out since the shaft on the distributor is just slotted and the shaft from  the gear is also just notched?  I have not tried as yet but wouild like some feed back before trying to pull it up.

Herman

Dave Shepherd

How about moving the wires around in the cap so one is on the rotor when #1 is at tdc, then you can do the final timing from there?

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Herman,

What you need to do is pull the Distributor, and turn the Shaft in the direction you want it to go, then reinsert it.

BUT, you will need to remove it completely, so you can insert a tool into the hole to turn the Oil Pump Drive the same amount, otherwise you won't be able to seat the bottom of the Distributor Shaft onto the drive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

hermanclc19416

Thanks for the input..Talked with Jay Friedman and he gave me page # in the Shop Manual which is pg 92 and it goes into detail as to the alignment.  As it turns out the machine shop had the gear, that is driven from the cam which also drives the oil pump and the distributor, in a horizonal position meaning the notch was parallel with the firewall.  There is no way you can move the notch without taking the intake manifold and valley cover off and grabing the gear and sliding it up the oil pump shaft and off then align the oil pump shaft with flat side of shaft to passenger side of the car, align the gear with inside diameter's flat side to passenger side of car and notch of gear shaft 15 degrees to the right of centerline of engine (front to back) and slide gear onto oil pump shaft making sure that when the gear meets the camshaft gear it is still in a 15 degree centerline (front to back)l position.  After the above the distributor notch alligned with the gear shaft and the rotor pointed to # 1 plug wire which is to the rear of the distributor just to the left of the clip and all is well with vacuum advance in the right position palallel with the firewall.  I had put wire in other positions in cap and this did work but the vacuum advance cannister was way out of position and the job to doe it correctly really did not take much time maybe a couple of hours max

Here's to the fun of correcting professional mechanics work,,,they cannot know all cars and especially cars 60 plus years old.

Hermasn