News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1936 85 Series Front end parts

Started by Roger H, April 07, 2010, 03:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger H

Hello

After checking Ebay weekly for almost 2 years,  I come accross this add for front end parts for my car.
Has anybody bought from this company before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-Series-75-Series-80-Series-90-Shaft-Kit-36-40_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d3Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d9051218091184368182QQ_trksidZp3286Q2em7QQcategoryZ33583QQihZ019QQitemZ290414691915

They have previously unavailable parts made in California,  just curious of the quality.

Roger

Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

tozerco

Roger,

You are right! These bits are virtually unprocurable and they are a problem for every '36 '37 Cad restorer that I have seen as the shafts are subject to mighty wear in the threads. I have six shafts out of three cars and having trouble salvaging one useable pair. A new source certainly will be a bonus if they are "the goods"!

Says $333+ per "Kit" but what's in a "Kit"? I think just one shaft but I have asked the question. At $670 odd a pair they are not cheap!

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Classic

My parts catalog says coverage should be 1936 (70 thru 85), 1937 (65 thru 85), 1938 (65), 1938-1940 (75 thru 90) so these should work.  Not familiar with seller, but think they are the same as http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/parts/.  They list the same shaft for sale, as well as other 36-37 Cadillac parts.  They are located in Simi Valley, CA.  You might ask CLC members in that area if they are familiar with them.  Suggest you start with the Regional Director.  Not cheap, but maybe cheaper than having them custom made.  If you buy them, let us know what you think.

Gene
37-75,85
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Otto Skorzeny

If I'm not mistaken, a forum reader recently bought a steering knuckle for a 38 series 90 or something from them and posted that he was happy. I think it may have been Tom Magdalino.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger H

Yea not cheep, They also have the upper and lower inner shafts, king pins with bearings, the  works
The whole "kit" would be   $2,000.00.

I am debating a purchase but just concerned about quality

I may  start with the shafts and see how they look

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Roger H

5 days After placing the order for 2 kits (almost $700) I received an email saying out of stock, order canceled.
the company    (rareparts.com) that builds them looks legit on their web site,   They said to try again in a couple weeks.

Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

John Tozer #7946

"5 days After placing the order for 2 kits (almost $700) I received an email saying out of stock, order canceled."

Sorry Roger,

I probably beat you to the punch. My shafts arrived in Oz yesterday within 5 days of ordering - best service I have ever had. My need is urgent because they are the only part holding up my rolling chassis. The shafts are spot on size and quality though the rubber seals shown in the photo on their web site were not part of the "kit" when it arrived. I am chasing them up now.

Cheaper on-line than through Ebay.

Seems like they will be back in stock soon because there website has tagged them now as "Popular".

Regards,

John Tozer

Classic

From everything I've read, Rare Parts is a very reputable company.  They specialize in steering and suspension parts.  Been around a long time.  Their customers are car hobbyists.  If they don't have a part, they will custom build it for you.  They used to sell only thru distributors, but now they sell to everyone.  See their website.  They are also on the "Huge List".

Gene
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Roger H

Thanks    Gene & John

I will order again in a few weeks, glad to hear the parts are  good quality.
Sounds like you needed them worse than I anyway,  I am 80% complete and had already given up on finding the shafts and reassembled my front end with  my old sandblasted and repainted shafts.  I would like so see a pic of your chassis if you have time

Thanks

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

John Tozer #7946

Roger,

Contact Brad Ipsen at brad@ipsengarage.com he has some good replacements for sale.

Regards,

John Tozer

John Tozer #7946

Roger,

I now have both the shafts and the rubber seals and they are of first class quality and fit.

Regards,

John Tozer

Tom Magdaleno

I ended up buying parts from Brad Ipsen and Cooper Automotive.  I recommend them both highly.  I only replaced what I absolutely needed to replace because the parts are so expensive and I drive it so little.
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper