News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Under Dash Foam?

Started by fnoti, April 12, 2010, 10:18:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fnoti

Ok So while my steering wheel is being redone I decided to be ambitious and replace all the bulbs in the dash and paint the dash pad the correct color.  When I took the dash pad out I noticed some tan foam that was lying inside the dash.  Now I've come to the realization that it looks like asbetos (firewall).  Id like to replace it since its in all these broken pieces.  Does anyone one what I should use, or should I just leave it without the foam.  I was going to just get some cheap foam but the I wondered if it got to hot inside the dash.  What do you guys think

kelly

Frank,
  I see a number of people have looked at your posting, but nobody has replied. You need to supply some basic info for problem evaluation, such as year and model. For instance, since I have a 57' model 75 series, I'm aquainted with it's construction and specifications. Give us a little more information.
Kelly
Kelly Martin
1957 Fleetwood 75
2008 DTS

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I don't believe they would have used asbestos -- no need to do so.

The mid 50's Caddys used a thick jute pad that was coverd by a cardboard type cover.
That's what my '55 has.

I'm not an expert on the '59's but for what it's worth.  As long as the outer shell looks
"original" -- use whatever insulating material you want under that and nobody will know the
difference.  There are many types available.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Roger Zimmermann

From 1957 onwards, the dash board was done differently as before. The foam you see is just dead; under the skin the wole original foam is turning like a powder. If you do nothing, you will have soon the metal stucture and a skin which will not keep its original shape. I don't know if you can inject foam; anyway, these dash boards are redone by various manufacturers, Just Dashes is one of them.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

eldo59

This is what's under the dash and how it look's. Look's like fiberglass insulation.
Mauro Bonfitto

Roger Zimmermann

Mauro, the topic is probably refering to the foam betwen the metal part and the outer skin, not the fiberglass insulation, but I can be wrong. Fnoti will tell us!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I thought you were referring to the padding next to the firewall under the dash -- not the material
under the dashpad itself.

That's what my comment referenced.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

eldo59

Quote from: fnoti on April 13, 2010, 02:23:37 PM
Eldo, Thats the stuff.  It is the insulation that appears to be fiberglass.  Most of mine was gone and not even attached to the underside of dash when I took the dash out. There were only parts and pieces left which is why it made it so difficult to explain.  Can I use any type of insulation to replace it.
It looks like the insulation you find in your roof but I'm not sure if it's exactly the same stuff.Maybe you could use roof insulation??
Mauro Bonfitto