News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mamie Eisenhower 55 Cad Limo?

Started by Charles D. Barnette, April 12, 2010, 04:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles D. Barnette

My Canadian friend Wayne Ellwood has toured the RM premises in Canada again and photographed a 1955 Limo there that has no rear window post. Is this the "Mamie Eisenhower" Limo? I will have my legal assistant post shortly in a separate email Wayne's picture taken recently at RM. Charles

Davidinhartford

Charles,   If I recall correctly, the Mamie Limousine also had a sunroof added in addition to the coupe Deville rear roof section.    As far as I know the car is still out there, so that could be it.

veesixteen

That car was built by Hess & Eisenhardt (USA) for Mamie Eisenhower, wife of Ike Eisenhower, 34th US President. Features include elimination of "C" pillars, a Series 62 coupe rear window, a rear roof line with lower, Florentine curve, sabre wheels and a retractable roof panel over rear passenger compartment. Photo McC p.309. Until recently, thes car was in the collection of French enthusiast, Olivier Delafon, at the Chateau de Monjalin, near Avallon, in Burgundy, some 155 mi. SE of Paris.   Olivier collects (collected?)  the cars of heads of state.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Davidinhartford

Here is the photo I rec'd from Charles.  I had to resize it to meet the 500 KB limit.

Charles D. Barnette

David thank you for posting same. My secretary is on vacation sipping tea by the poolside. This just has to be Mamie's Limo hiding out at RM headquarters in Canada. No other limo has that rear window treatment done at Mamie's request because she wanted to be seen and not hidden by the rear window post. So does the car appear at a future auction site of RM or is it just in the shop for some restoration? Why did the French Museum let go of it if it is to be auctioned? Only time will tell. It surely would be a nice car to be in our Club Museum! Charles-I would like to see her in our country again.

Otto Skorzeny

It has a European license plate on the front.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

veesixteen

It's a Paris (city) registration (last two digits - "75").  Olivier Delafon (the owner ... or former owner?)  may have a Paris address in addition to his "château" home in the south.
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"