News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1964 Guide-Matic trouble

Started by Leonhard, April 13, 2010, 04:50:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonhard

Hello everybody,

I have some trouble about my Guide-Matic system.
It always stays on High-beam so I just drive until daylight...

I already have read about the possibility of converting to a normal hi/low beam switch but I want to keep all original.

So I'm looking for the guide-matic analyzer mentioned in the shop manual: Tool No. J-21529
Also a Wiring diagram would work for me.

A request to cadillac therefor is still without any reaction.

Now I hope anyone of you can help me with my problem.
Either a way to get one of this analyzers or a wiring diagram of it.
Or a way to test the single parts seperate by a picture.yatego.com/images/459ba4d650b760.1/34.jpg (I don't know the english word)

So I hope any of you can help me further!!

Best Regards from Germany,
Leonhard

Guidematic

Perhaps you can make your own tests system. By studying the schematic, you may be able to do this. I was able to do this with a 1981 system. The proper test equipment was not available to me at the time, and I was working at a Cadillac dealer.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

denniscaddy

Hello,

I have a Guide Autronic Eye Sensitivity Tester, No J-tool number on it, but only serial number 1698.  The tag on the outside cover has no Model Number stamped in, but AE- (blank).  Unit was manufactured by Sun Electric Corp., Chicago.

I think it is a little earlier than '64, but should work ok for test purposes.  Has large sensitivity meter, leveling device, etc.  Knobs control Function and Intensity.

It is a hinged metal case, 10" x 8" x 4".  Has carrying handle, instruction booklet is inside.  All in excellent shape.  It appears to have been used very little.

If you are interested, email me dennis@caddyparts.com

Dennis Akerman, CLC 3676

CLC 3676
1941 Fleetwood 60S
2017 CT6

Glen

Quote from: Leonhard on April 13, 2010, 04:50:54 AM
I have some trouble about my Guide-Matic system.
It always stays on High-beam so I just drive until daylight...

I already have read about the possibility of converting to a normal hi/low beam switch but I want to keep all original.

Leonhard,
Is it possible your Guide-Matic is turned off?  With it turned off the dimmer switch operates like a car without Guide-Matic. 

If it is turned on then maybe the dimmer button is stuck down.  When you press the dimmer button part way down the Guide-Matic goes to high beam.  This is a feature to allow
the driver to signal oncoming drivers to dim their headlights. 

Glen 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Leonhard

@Mike: I have already tried to find out how to test the components.
But I'm no electrican. Especially about the tubes I have no Idea how to check them.
The only thin I could check till now were some resitors, the photocell and the wires but they all seem to be okay.

@Dennis: You got a e-mail.

@Glen: I don't know if it's turned off. How can i check it?
It has no effeckt where ever the senitivity control ring is turned to, OFF or FAR no change.
Sometimes I have had the lights on Low beam when i turn on the lights but abotu 10 sec later the turned to high. Somtimes they have also stayed at low beam but most of the time they are at high beam with turning on the lights.

When they are at low beam. I can switch to high beam by using the foot switch and I hear the click and it goes to high beam. But then when I want to switch back nothing but the click of the footswicth happens.

Currently I have disconnected the Phototube but this has also no effect.

Leonhard

Warren Rauch

I gave my Brother one of these testers for Christmas last year.( He has 64 Eldos). It is not for sale. They were made by Hopkins Mfg. Company, Emporia, Kansas. The wiring diagram is printed in side the case ,where it can't be photo copied. If you will give me your non email address( I need post office address), I will hand copy it  for you. Either post it here or email it to me.Warren

Leonhard

Hi Warren,

that would be great! You got mail.

Leonhard

Glen

If you disconnected the photo tube then I think the problem is in the foot switch.  With the control ring in the off position the headlights should work normally. 

The 64 unit still has the separate amplifier.  It may have a bad vacuum tube. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Leonhard

Hello,

I just checked the Footswitch. It workes 100%

Also the power relai works like it should.

I also pulled the amplifier unit half way out to check the adjusting screw at the headlight switch.
At the amplifier unit I connectet to the White and Yellow cable for resistance.

I got 1.4 MOhm at FAR and 30 Ohm with the adjuster ring at OFF.
But the Shop Manual tells something about 960 KOhm (non linear).

Is it okay or is there something wrong?
I tried it several times to be sure there is no surface rost on it but I always got the same data.

Leonhard

Leonhard

@ Warren:

I've got your letter with the wiring diagram and the manual.

First I want to thank you, this helps me very much.

But I still have some questions.

- Does the connector (4 wire) has plugs or pins?
- At the left top corner of the wiring diagram. Is the twilight sentinel test lead connected instead of the voltage output lead? Could you please explain how this is meant.

- If you agree I would post the diagram and the manual here so everyone can profit on it.

Best Regards from Germany,

Leonhard

CNF

I have been working on my 1960 Guide-Matic and have noticed that if the Amplifer is not grounded properly then the high beams stay on all the time that the light switch is on.