News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Electronic Ignition, 1956 Cadillac. Petronix, Won't stay running.

Started by Christopher Petti, April 13, 2010, 01:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Petti

Ok, Me again.
  Car was running fantastic. Drove it home for Easter. That's 350 miles. Drove it from a Detroit Suburb to a Suburb of Cleveland. She ran beautifully! My father ran down with me when I was home to Summit Racing in Tallmadge to pick up a Ignitor. Made by Petronix. Well I popped out the points as soon as I came home on Monday and installed the Petronix system. Of course as guided by the instructions. Well I have tried timing and even playing a little with the carburetor. For some reason the car just won't stay running? It starts up! (After a few pumps of gas of course) then runs for about 5-10 seconds then dies. I have checked all my grounds. I have charged my battery I have everything connected correctly. I am so confused. I'm going to throw the points back in tonight and see if I run into any troubles with the points. Any suggestions. Anyone run into the same issues?

Thanks

Chris
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

Otto Skorzeny

I've beendriving my 56 for thousands and thousands of miles with points without a hitch.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Sweede64

Did you get full 12 volts to the system? If there is a resistor in the surcit and you have used the same cable that feeds the coil it will only deliver 9volt while running, only during the crank cycle you will get 12volts here.
Thomas Karlström

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chris,
I'm with Forrest on points, but if you want to check out the Electronic, check your voltage, all connections and grounds, and check the clearance between the pick-up and the shutter as they describe in the installation instructions..
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Based on what you said so far my first guess would be a voltage problem.   Perhaps for a test run a line direct from the battery to the pertronix unit/ coil.  Remember you will have to unhook this wire to get it to shut off.   Also during the test monitor the battery voltage to see if its dropping.  Perhaps the generator is not 'online' yet and the whole system voltage is dropping.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Christopher Petti

Ok,
  I was unable to work on it last night. Tonight I'll run some more tests on it and see if I can't get this figured out. The reason I wanted to go with the points is because of the fuel economy and maintenance free. I feel there may be a voltage issue. I'll post what my issue is once I find it.

Thanks gentlemen.

Chris
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

Bill Balkie 24172

Chris, i installed the Ptronix in my 57 and it has been no problem . the nice thing is everything is under the distrbuter cap . But it did come with a special coil . You are using the coill that came with the kit i presume .   Bill.
Quote from: Christopher Petti on April 14, 2010, 01:22:26 PM
Ok,
  I was unable to work on it last night. Tonight I'll run some more tests on it and see if I can't get this figured out. The reason I wanted to go with the points is because of the fuel economy and maintenance free. I feel there may be a voltage issue. I'll post what my issue is once I find it.

Thanks gentlemen.

Chris
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

dan reed

Chris - I hope you figure out the problem. I converted my '56 to electronic ignition more than 10 years ago and haven't had to touch a thing since!

Maybe run once through the setup and install instructions once more and retrace your steps.  If that fails I'd then pop the points system back in and see if it runs normally. Seems odd that the car ran great before the electronic setup was installed then poorly after.

Its been 10 years since I've done that job so I can't recall step-by-step what was involved in the installation.