News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 cadillac sedan deville purchase help

Started by jasemer, April 14, 2010, 04:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasemer

Hi everyone I am new to this forum and hope to soon be one of you.  The owner of a classic.  I am in the process of negotiating the price on a 1959  6 window sedan deville (6329).  I need forum members to give me their opinion on what would be a fair price.  (I KNOW WITHOUT SEEING THE CAR-i MUST TAKE ALL OPINIONS I GET WITH A GRAIN OF SALT)  The owner was originally asking for $8,000.  Any help is VERY appreciated. 

This is what I know about the car

-The car is primered and ready to be painted (after another sanding and other prepping of course)
-The car's chrome has been removed and fixed/rechromed (the chrome is now in excellent shape) and remains off the vehicle so it can be painted
-the car is complete and all pieces (chrome, lights, etc) are included and in good condition
-the car's rear quarter panel was in an accident which was fixed by cutting out the damage,welding and riveting in new sheet metal and looks to my untrained eye to be straight and a quality job
-The interior of the car is beautiful and is still under plastic (like my grandmother's couches) and will need almost no attention
-the front drum brakes have been replaced with disc brakes
-Work on the engine (tuneup, changing belts, replacing some hoses) has been completed to make the engine run
-gas tank and lines were removed and replaced
-the odometer reads 60,000 miles (current owner thinks its original miles-lets just assume this is true)
-the engine is original, intact and runs
-the tires have good tread and hold air
The car is local and has had only two owners (both in Illinois)
-car does not have A/C
-car needs a driver side window (all other glass is intact)
-car needs a new exhaust
-car needs to be painted
-car will need a new dash board surface

What is a fair price for a car in this condition? Thank you in advance for your time and help. 

jim thomas CLC #15000

JASEMER $$8,000.00  doesn't sound too bad when I paid around $12,000..00 for  the same amount of work. I would insist on the oriigional color, The color number  can be found on the metal  tab located  on the diiver's side firewall       jim

J. Gomez

Jasemer,

Let’s start with the basic, nada.com lists this vehicle as low retail $8,745, average retail for $14,740, and high retail for $21,000.

Next will be are you going for a full 100 point car, or just an occasional show and/or a regular driver?

If you are going to replace or installed the missing items yourself or have a shop do it? Cost will be your time versus $$$$ for the shop.

Painting could be a big ticket item you may be looking at between $5,000 and "two arms and a leg" it all depends on quality, details, etc. I second Jim's comments in keeping the original colors..!

If you add another $5K - $8K to get her back it would be within the average retail range, so for $8K purchase price it sounds like a good investment..!

Beside the $$$ the most important thing is you get to drive and enjoy her, and it’s a CADILLAC.  :)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

jasemer

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

To answer your questions.
--I intend to drive this car as much as possible.  It will not be a 100 point show car and I intend to keep this car for many years.  I want it to look good but will limit the total amount of money I'm willing to pour into the car.  I am comfortable with the idea that parts of the car will not be restored to original factory conditions.

A shop will install the exhaust system, replace the dash cover and paint the car.  I can probably handle the window.

I have gotten estimates of $1000 for the exhaust and 3,000 and up for the paint (w/ the consensus being that between $3,000-6,000 will get me a pretty good paint job)

The Trim code is 47 Turquoise and Black
Paint Code 10 Black

Keep the opinions coming.  My local friends say I shouldn't be spending over 5,000 on it considering the amount of money that the car still needs to get going.

Thanks again for your time.

Chris Conklin

You say he was "originally" asking $8K... has it been for sale for some time now? It's a '59 and people will pay for fins, but they'll really pay for fins on a coupe or convertible. For the most part $8K seems pretty good for a completely put together decent running vehicle. This does not fit that category. I think closer to $6K seems realistic for this car, assuming it's still open to negotiation. And I would say you need a minimum of $14K to get it to decent driver condition, which seems to be what you want. Maybe not $14K right up-front, but as you use it and break stuff, you'll be around that price mark. Keep us posted and best of luck!
Chris Conklin

35-709

Sounds to me like $6000 to $8000, not having seen the car, is reasonable.  You will have to replace the rubber brake line hoses if they haven't been done already and all other rubber lines if old.  Plan on replacing the tires, "good tread and hold air" means little, AGE is crucial.  Have you gotten under the car and checked the floors for rust out?  Lifted the carpet and trunk mat for the same reason?  Add big dollars if you have to pay someone to repair/replace floors other than minor holes.  No matter how some feel about them with those fins, the '59s are iconic and worth more.  Sedans of course will never be worth what a convertible or coupe is worth.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

The Tassie Devil(le)

Another question to ask is: "Why is it for sale now?"   "Why isn't the present owner completing it, seeing as he has got so close to completion?", and "What really is missing?"

Hopefully, the answers will be simply, and not end up being really expensive.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon