News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need Suggestion - 1924-25 V63 5 Passenger Touring

Started by TMoore - NTCLC, March 28, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Gentlemen -

I need some suggestions or advice.  A very good friend and car collector recently passed, and I have been asked to assist with his car collection.  It is a varied collection - 1914 Buick; 1930 Model A Roadster; 1925 Cadillac V-63 5 Passenger Touring; 1940 Sixty Special; 1963 Studebaker Lark; 1967 Lincoln Convertible; and misc. "parts cars".

All of the cars underwent "hobbyist restoration" in the early to mid seventies, were driven on a few tours, and then parked inside for the past 30 years.  None of the cars has been started or driven since that time, so there is some work to be done.

I know that there is limited appeal for the pre-war stuff, and my biggest concern is the 25 Five Passenger touring car.  The prices on these cars has me a bit stumped.  I see some Pebble Beach cars that bring wild numbers, but the run-of-the-mill market for a hobbyist restoration that will require considerable freshening-up appears to be pretty slim.  I have requested a classic car wholesaler to come make offers on the vehicles, but again, I think they will be more interested in more modern or mainstream vehicles, and not a big Touring car.  I am not quite sure that ebay is the correct venue to market this car either, and Hemmings, although perhaps the best venue, might require more time than the estate is wanting to invest.  

I could probably spend a few weekends, and a few dollars getting the cars started, but at the pre-war level, I figure that the buyer will be doing major work to the car, and would prefer I not molest anything - I am not sure if that is the correct course of thinking or not.

So - suggestions - ?  If you were presented a similar set of circumstances, which route would you take to maximize the value to the estate?  Thanks in advance for your input -

Carfreak

Quote from: Tod - NTCLC on March 28, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

It is a varied collection - 1914 Buick; 1930 Model A Roadster; 1925 Cadillac V-63 5 Passenger Touring; 1940 Sixty Special; 1963 Studebaker Lark; 1967 Lincoln Convertible; and misc. "parts cars".

FWIW, the 1925 V-63 and 1940 Sixty Special are designated Classics by the Classic Car Club of America.   That makes a difference to some people, perhaps those who show @ Pebble Beach & other Concours events.      http://www.classiccarclub.org/pdfs/List%20of%20Approved%20Classics.pdf

I'd carefully clean the cars (wash/dry) but not do too much more unless you are 100% positive the direction you are taking and that any actions won't adversely effect the condition of the vehicle. 

Are there any local CLC members (or other clubs) that are familiar with early vehicles that can view them & provide you some guidance?   A bit of research on each of the vehicles might uncover if there is anything particularly unique about them - are they prone to a particular problem and the example you are offering doesn't suffer that problem?   Does it have a unique option/feature, etc.  Do some research and/or check with other marque clubs or even AACA forum  www.aaca.org

Good luck.
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

TMoore - NTCLC

Yes, I took the 1940 Sixty Special out yesterday, and hosed off the dirt.  This car was the last one that he was working on, and is extremely nice - engine rebuilt, new lacquer paint job, beautiful correct interior, new tires, etc. - except again, 30 years ago.  The dirt is well into the paint, it it will take more than a good wash to get it back to a shine.  This car would require the least effort to get to running condition, but will take some time (fluids, brakes, belts, hoses, no doubt a fuel pump re-build), but at least I am familiar with the flat-heads and could likely get it up and running.

I will try to get the Touring car out soon, and at least hose it down.  He had new steering gears cast which were apparently a soft spot on these cars, and he even had an extra set made, so that part has been addressed.  As you say, I am not familiar with all of these cars weaknesses, so I am not sure what else should be addressed.

Thanks for the advice - and keep them coming -

robert G. smits

Todd, if you are trying to maximize the estate value I would Auction the cars with adequate advertisement in venues such as Old Cars Weekly.  I think you would be amazed at the interest and nothing approaches true value like an auction.  Thats my opinion, Bob 
R. Smits, #2426
23 Cad 7P Touring
32 Cad 5P Coupe
38 Cad 90 Series
41 Cad 63 Series
58 Cad Eldo Barritz
The average man can take care of one Woman and two Cadillacs, Al Edmond AACA Past President

John Sinnott

The Cadillac you are referring to looks much like one my father sold back in 1968 in which he did the restoration.  I would be interested if this is the same car.  My father had restored the car in a two tone green with lots of chrome and wired and sanded the wheels to natural finish.  He traded the car for 6k plus a 1930 plymouth rumble seat roadster.  The trade was done with a doctor in upstate NY.

seetz

the forums at aaca might be good. that car is a full classic according to aaca rules, pretty everyone on the forum there will be interested by default
Sietze Slinkman
1931 Cadillac speedster (in building stage)
1959 Chevrolet 3800 panel truck