News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil leak at 346 L Head Distributor

Started by Gary H, April 16, 2010, 04:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary H

I am having a problem with oil leaking out from between the lower and upper distributor components. There is a gasket where the distributor column bolts to the engine block, and that is OK, but where the distributor column mounts to the distributor, there is no gasket, and does not appear as though there is clearance for a gasket.  This is also the point at which the distributor must turn to adjust the timing.  There are just two flat metal surfaces which mate together.  I am getting a considerable amount of oil out of that area. The engine oil pressure runs at around 30 PSI under normal running.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This makes a mess of the rear of the engine, and the transmission, and the garage floor.

Gary H. - CLC member

Tom Beaver

The drain hole in the distributor column is probably plugged up. The sleeve bearing at the base of the distributor column is lubricated by engine oil and leakage up past the bearing drains back to the engine sump by a drain hole and passage built into the distributor column.  If the drain hole or passage becomes plugged the oil is forced up and out the top at the distributor.  Pull the distributor and mounting column out and check it.  If the passage is open then the bearing probably has to much clearance and more oil gets past the bearing than the drain can handle.  In any case if there is very much play in the bearing it should be replaced while you have it out since slop in the bearing is detrimental to the life of the bronze idler gear.

Tom Beaver

Gary H

Thanks - I'll try that tomorrow AM... I'll advise on results.

Gary H.

Gary H

Tom,
I removed the distributor in total, and you werre correct. The drain hole was clean, but ithe bearing was worn and it was pretty sloppy. Fortunately, I had another distributor from a junk engine that I had, it had a tight bearing. I cleaned it all up, painted it, installed it, and so far so good, no apparent leakage after about 20 miles. I did a tune up with new points, condensor, etc while I had the unit out on the workbench - much easier to do there than bending over a very fat fender. Thanks for all the correct advise!

Sincerely, Gary H