News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Converting to dual master cylinder 38 Cad 16 questions

Started by Tom Magdaleno, May 16, 2010, 01:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Magdaleno

Has anyone done a conversion like this and have a recommendation for a master cylinder?  Also, does anyone know the piston size on the stock master cylinder?  I'm keeping drum brakes, no power assist. 

I'm looking at aftermarket master cylinders and they are mostly for disc brake kits, which will not work for me.  Also, I'm looking at the bolt pattern for my MC and I think I may have to bolt in a plate, or weld in a plate and redrill holes to mount it.  Has anyone else found a simple way to bolt up a dual reservoir master cylinder? 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Roger H

If you go to napa online and search for "master cylinders" than narrow your search to new only,  you will find pictures of all  of them.
it will take some time to go thru the list but you may find one,    I don't think their is an easy way.   A good install would require some research, a lot of fittings, proportioning valve, some new lines, etc.    If you are concerned for safety you may be better off to remove all the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder and send them in to be rebuilt/ re sleeved as needed and re use the original parts.  Also make sure the e brake works.  With the body on and tight working conditions  you may end up with a jerry rigged looking mess that is more of a hazard than good original parts. 

Good lick

Roger
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Tom Magdaleno

Thanks for the reply Roger.  The wheel cylinders have all been sleeved, and the ebrake works.  But in the event that a rear cylinder leaks, the ebrake will not do me any good if the rear pads are soaked.  The last owner jerry rigged new brake lines.  I have been going through this car finding lots of things that can chafe and protecting them.  Both the last owner and my friend who works on this car with me would rather do it quick than right, sometimes I have to do the re-engineering to keep it safe.  But other than those faults I have to hand it to my friend who took a car that was a 5- and turned it into a 4+, not an easy feat. 
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

Glen

It seems to me that this alteration is not that complicated.  If you can find a bolt in master cylinder with the same bore diameter and the rest of the system is in good shape, all you have to do is re-plumb the brake lines for separate front and rear systems. 

Finding the bolt in master cylinder is the hard part. 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Roger H

Ironically when I bought my car it had been converted to dual and I converted it back to stock.  It had a regular Mid 70's GM master bolted on with 1 good bolt and a bent  bolt, it looked like hell.  all I could do is send you you some pictures of what not to do, ha ha
Roger Hundtoft
1936 Fleetwood 8509
Lynnwood Wa

Caddy Wizard

I have done this on a 49 and my solution should work on a 41-53.  Not sure about on a 38.  Basically, I designed and manufactured some special adapter plates that bolt to the frame and support a modern, dual circuit 1" bore Wilwood master cylinder (one configured for drum/drum set ups).  The specially manufactured bracket is powder coated.  The master cylinder uses remote reservoirs that I mounted on the fender under the 4" fresh air hose (mostly out of sight).

Initially I had purchased a disc brake kit for my 49, but it was crap and never worked right.  After I switched to this set up, all was great. 

I could sell you one of the brackets, but I am not sure it fits a 38 Cad.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)