News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Conversion of Vacuum Windshield Wiper Motor to Electric

Started by Virgil Perkins #19943, May 16, 2010, 10:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil Perkins #19943

Has anyone converted the vacuum windshield wiper motor on a 1941 Caddy (or similar setup) to electric? And if so, what was entailed? Thanks, VP][/b]

Bob Schuman

Virgil,
My advice is, don't do it. Send your vacuum wiper motor to Ficken Wiper Service (www.wiperman.com), and after he rebuilds it, the wipers will work great, and with infinitely variable speed adjustment that electrics don't have. Of course, for proper wiper operation, the vacuum booster part of the fuel pump must also be working properly. It should produce at least 8 inches of vacuum with the engine idling and the vacuum line from the intake manifold disconnected.
Bob Schuman,CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Steve Passmore

There was a company on eBay only a week or two back selling a professional conversion for early Cadillac wipers changing it to variable speed electric, it was a bolt on item about $150 as I remember.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Otto Skorzeny

There is a company on "the List" that sells them for all makes and models but I don't remember the name. Until I finish writing the index, you'll just have to search through the descriptions of them all.

Click the link below.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

As answered on the MCLC ----

"Check with these folks ---- http://www.newportwipers.com/

Also, Ficken wiper service ---- http://www.wiperman.com/   can rebuild your old vacuum wiper motor to work as new.

Geoff"
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Virgil: Let me second to what Bob Schuman has said-Don`t do it. For years I have used Kent Jaquith from Zilla WA. who goes by the Clean Sweep at 541-923-4319. I just had my 47 wiper motor rebuilt and it works great. He also did my 41 and I drove it on several CCCA CARavans with plenty of rain. I have no problem with using the vacuum wiper system as long as you have a good wiper motor, good blades and have a liberal amount of Rain X on the windshield.     Bill

Virgil Perkins # 19943

Thanks to all for your responses, I appreciate the information.  Bob & Bill, I am not seeking information for my own use, as I am to lazy and set in my ways to kick a sleeping dog and fix something that ain't broke. This is for a friend who is doing a major project and asked if I was aware of any such conversions. Other than washing, waxing, oil changes & lubes, I am driving more than working on Miss Betty. Thanks again, everybody. VP