News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Large pieces to chrome - Where?

Started by Stinson, May 18, 2010, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stinson

Hello, I am ready to send out three large pieces (grille shroud, the two hood sides, and two headlight buckets. To where is the question. Seems shops are now using trivalent rather than hexavalent chrome. I thought hex was best, but Pauls and The Finishing Touch are using trivalent for concours work. I have spoken to both and they seem to be outstanding shops. I will have to send the parts because they are too far away to drive to in one day. I live in Maryland near Annapolis. Cost will be $3,000 or better. Please email your thoughts regarding the best vendor to use and why, or alternatives and why.

Many, many thanks for your responses,
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
'37 Cad 8519 Touring Sedan V12
CLC22330

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have used Paul's for some large pieces (and small ones) and his work is very good.  He is
about 20 minutes from my house, so when I need something done it's into the truck and
up to Paul's.  He did bumpers, headlight rims and other misc. pieces on my '73 Eldo.

I have also used Grave's Plating in Alabama and for show quality, I would have
to give them the edge for top notch work.  They are, however, quite expensive.

They did the chrome on my award winning 1955 Eldorado (AACA Grand National 1st,
CLC Best of Show and Senior 1st).

I have no personal experience with the Finishing Touch.

So, as the saying goes, you have to decide what level of quality you seek and be
prepared to pay accordingly!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Stinson

Thank you Mike. So, how much more expensive is Grave's? a lot? Twenty-five % or more? I guess I should contact them for an estimate to compare.
Ty Stinson
Ty Stinson
CLC22330

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Ty:

I would not even want to guess at that question.  It much depends on the condition
of your parts.  Call them for a "guesstimate" and see what they say.

For example, at Pauls's, until they see the part and give it a "hands on" look they
will not give you a firm quote.  Any place that doesn't do that I would be leery of.

I would be prepared to at least send pics.

In chrome work, the labor (buffing between the copper/nuckel/chrome) steps
is the greatest part of the cost.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Brian Dowell

:) Just took 50 pieces to have chromed at a locale shop here near Detroit for a 30 LaSalle 7 passenger. Headlight buckets, grill shroud, ect.  The entire cost was $5000.00 which included some repair (welding, straitening ect.).   Really happy with there work, I thought was it reasonable and they were very helpful. They did a beautiful job everything is perfect.

A-W Custom Chrome Inc. 17726 East Nine Mile Rd. Eastpointe Michigan 48021 586 775 2040. 
30 LaSalle Coupe
30 LaSalle 7 Passenger touring
33 LaSalle Sedan
60 Cadillac Convertible
15 Model T Touring

Stinson

Hello Brian, thank you. Sounds like you got a real good deal. I am waiting for an estimate from Grave's Plating and will contact your recommended vendor (A.W. Custom Chrome Inc.) also. By any chance would you have a photo of your chromed parts?
Ty Stinson
CLC22330
Ty Stinson
CLC22330