News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Power Steering question

Started by Steve W, May 20, 2010, 03:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve W

I've known since I bought the car last year that the power steering isn't quite "Cadillac". It does have power steering, its just not the effortless "two-finger" power steering that these cars are known for. Fluid is new, resevoir full, system is bled...makes a bit of a hissing sound at full lock either side (normal). No leaks.

Its fine at high speeds on the fwy...but at slow speeds, backing out of the driveway, etc...its stiff, takes effort and once in a great while it kinda sticks (at idle, backing out of a spot). Revving the motor helps a bit. And, once you get going, its OK. Then, parallell parking requires a LOT of effort. No problem for ME, but the girlfriend would be struggling with it.  Its one of those things I would get around to eventually...but then...

Yesterday my neighbor came over and wanted me to go look at a car he was interested in...a 73 Pontiac Grandville convertible. It was a mess, and the guy wanted top $$ for it.  But, as I was driving it...the steering...oh man...THAT's the way MY car should steer!!!! One-finger steering with no drama at all...tight and responsive....but buttery-smooth...EXACTLY like MY car should steer!

So..what do you guys think...should I replace my power steering pump? Does that sound like the pump is slowly failing? I guess it would be pretty easy to replace. I'm just hoping it isn't something in the steering box itself.

Advice?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866

Guidematic

Ideally you would want to take pressure readings on the system before deciding to replace anything. Proper diagnosis would be to place a pressure gauge in line on the pressure hose to the box. When you turn the wheel, pressures should rise to a maximum of about 1200 psi then hold. This is the pressure that the relief valve should kick in at.

The manual should give the exact pressures, I am only going on memory here, so my figure may not be entirely accurate.

If you do not get the pressure rise, then I would say that the pump is defective. If the pressures are there, then I would be looking at the steering box as the culprit. It would most likely be a pressure by-pass in the spool valve assy in the box.

If you have a known good pump handy, it would be fairly easy to swap it, though.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Art Woody

Inspect for a worn belt, and then replace or adjust. Worn belt is just as bad a a loose belt.

mgbeda

If the problem is intermittent, like the power assist seems to come on in jerks, I'd suggest it might be dirt in the system that clogs it up.  I had that problem with my '76.  I once had a '66 Lincoln (sorry) and that had a filter in the PS reservoir.  Seems like a good idea that I wish more cars had.

Anyway you can sort of flush the PS system by taking off the return hose and putting it in a drain pan, then running the engine while refilling the reservoir as fast as it comes out (pretty fast).  For bonus points have a helper turn the wheel back and forth while you're doing this.  It's a fairly cheap thing to try.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Steve W

Reviving an old post...old post, same prob...

This is sort of related to the recent post I made regarding the "mystery-drip".
I replaced the power steering pump and lines, flushed and bled the system...and it made NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever in the steering.

I also spent two hours on my back, under my car, trying to loosen the lock-nut and screw on the steering box itself...an almost IMPOSSIBLE feat...there is no room to work under there. But I managed to  back off the screw a bit....still NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever.

So..I guess I have to replace the steering box itself?
Steve Waddington
1968 Coupe deVille
North Hollywood, CA
CLC Member # 32866