News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac dash speedometer servicing?

Started by carguyblack, May 21, 2010, 09:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Could anyone give me some instructions about lubricating a speedometer assembly from the dash cluster? I had my original one serviced a number of years ago while I started my restoration. I have now installed it and run the car about 200 miles. Worked fine last fall but on the way home just yesterday  it started clicking and jumping and the odometer quit working altogether. I have another dash cluster that I raided the speedo from now and spun it with a drill and it all seems to be working. I need to know if, while apart, I can oil anything, grease the gears, what type of lubricant to use, all that sort of thing. My dash is still off so it will never be less work fixing anything on it than right now. I planned on using the car in my daughter's wedding June 5, so I'm under the gun so to speak! Thanks, Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Christopher Petti

Hey Chuck,
  I'm actually doing the exact same thing on my car as we speak. You want to use the Liquid Graphite in the spray can with the application straw. I just hate laying under the dash and taking off the cable and then putting it back up. Use the straw on the Liquid Grapite to Spray in the top where the cable attaches to the dash. It slowly makes it's way down as you drive it. I actually keep the can in my car. I have been applying it everytime I think about it. I have given it a couple sprays in the past week and it is working better already. No jumping, it's keeping correct speed. I love it. Didn't have to buy a new speedometer cable. Good luck, hope it works for ya!

Chris
And uses too much gas
Some folks say it's too old
And that it goes too fast
But my love is bigger than a Honda
It's bigger than a Subaru
Hey man there's only one thing
And one car that will do
Anyway we don't have to drive it
Honey we can park it out in back
And have a party in your pink Cadillac

Otto Skorzeny

Chuck, if you take it apart I'll bet you discover that the PLASTIC gear in it, called the Third Worm Gear, is not working. That's the part that always wears out in these because all the other gears and sprockets are made of metal.

I found a gentleman in Virginia who makes new odometer gears and he made one for me for a very reasonable price.

The reason these are plastic is because they would be complicated and expensive to machine. They have different angles and pitches, etc.

PS. His company is Odometer Gears and its on the List.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

Right, if the speedo is still working but not the odometer it is not the cable.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

carguyblack

Thanks guys! It was the gear that Forrest said it was. I am switching out the speedo unit with my spare but not before I took the replacement to my insturment guy who checked out the gears and lubricated it internally. The spare works smooth and solid with not jumping or clicking. Odometer works well, too. I'll look into buying a replacement gear and fix the unit I take out so I have another spare. However, the instrument man told me that the odometer roll bound up as one of the "9's" rolled up and that stressed and stripped the plastic gear. Perhaps the odometer portion is still bound and the new gear wouldn't help matters much. What a mess. Geesh! Hope I NEVER have to do this again! Thanks for your help and suggestions once again.  Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Otto Skorzeny

Chuck, the new gears that the guy in Newport News makes are from a modern superior type plastic that hold up much better. Go to his site and read about it. It's quite interesting. He got into this work because he owned a vintage BMW with the same problem.

BMW would only sell him a new instrument for thousands of dollars so he said, "Screw that!, I'll make my own!"

He ended up spending tens of thousands of dollars on modern injection molding equipment and makes al kinds of odometer gears for BMWs for other people. I asked him about the gear for the 56 some years ago and he said he'd be willing to give it a shot. He probably still has the mold.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE