News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Correct Rad Cap for '48

Started by vicbrincat, May 26, 2010, 09:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicbrincat

Hi folks,

Finally got my car on the road.
Still working out all the "bugs", of course.
One bug is coolant leaking out of the rad overflow after a good run. First of all I have only had the car out about three times...but it has dumped fluid each time. (Granted I probably over-filled the rad originally).
I suspect that it will eventually reach equilibrium and stop overflowing....
But just to be on the safe side....what is the correct PSI rating of the rad cap?
I purchased mine from Coopers  who are (IMHO) reliable, and it is supposed to be correct for '48...but it has no PSI value on it..just double checking just because I may have got the wrong one by accident.

Vic

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Vic: The correct cap for your car is an A/C cap RC-7 which as a 9# cap. This cap as you see by the attached chart is correct for 41-48. The cap will have A/C stamped on one ear. In very small letters under A/C will be 558-9#, then under that, RC-7.The neck of the cap should always be 1/4 inch longer than the neck of the radiator to give a good seal when you press down and turn to lock the cap. Jeff Maltby sent me pictures of your car. You have done a beautiful job on the restoration. With the correct cap the the fluid level on the top tank will vary a little on each car but I have found with my old 41 and my 47 the level will settle at about 2 inches below the neck of the radiator.  Bill

vicbrincat

Thanks Bill,

I have to tell you that Jeff has been a great source of info for me...despite his preferences to Over-head valve engines...;-)

Based on the info that you have provided....mine isn't even close.
I did manage to find "7 lbs" stamped on the cap.

So the next logical question..where can I get the "correct" cap for my '48?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

TMoore - NTCLC

Vic -

Give Bob Cooper a call and let him know that you appear to have the wrong cap.  It happens sometimes, especially as he has been in the process of moving.  I ordered the cap for my 1942 from him, and it is the correct longer neck cap.  There have been a couple of items that I ordered that were the wrong ones, but he will take care of it.

Let him know what you have and what you are expecting, and I bet he can get it to you -

Tod

Bill Ingler #7799

There have been several caps on ebay the last few months-$25-35. That is probably your best place. I would also post your wants  on the Buy/Sell on this forum or call Ed Cholakian at Cads of the 40s.

Jeff Maltby 4194

Vic. Here's the difference between a 559-13lb 49-55 cap versus the correct cap off a 48 FB I parted out years ago, with approx a 1/4" height difference.

Measure down the rad cap throat to top neck then check your new cap to compare. Sounds like Coppers sent you the wrong cap either way.  

PS ! I have no problem with the flatheads versus an ohv engine. I bought a 48 fastback that hadn't run in 25 years and with a little cleaning/tinking, it fired up with zero smoke and purred much smoother then an OHV engine. I like the larger 49 grille smile better then the 48 but miss the 3 chevrons under the tail lights  :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500