News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electric Short?

Started by Rick Biarritz, May 27, 2010, 09:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Biarritz

My radio/clock display works when it wants to.  My auto. trunk release works when it wants to.  My "door is open" and "you aren't buckled up" chimes work when they want to.  They are not on the same schedule, working and not working in no particular order.  Is this a short, and is it likely one short or more than one?  Thanks.

bcroe

A short is a path where excessive battery current flows, without going through a light etc to limit the current.  Fuses blow when shorts occur, to prevent a fire.  Since you aren't blowing a fuse, the problem is probably open circuits, where a gap occurs blocking the current.  These are generally caused by corrosion or vibration.  I would start checking the ground wires of the failing stuff.  The copper to steel connection is vulnerable to corrosion & intermittent connection.  Trace the circuit from your factory service manual, and use a test light.  Bruce Roe

76eldo

Check for anything metallic in a cig lighter.  Make sure your "body" fuse isn't blown.

When I was driving 80's Eldo's as everyday cars, my son dropped a penny in a lighter socket.  I removed the lighters so the kids wouldn't hurt them selves.

After that, I also removed the power wire from the lighters after replacing the body fuse.

You also can have dirty ground connections.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Gomez

Rick,

You will need to find a common point that these connections may share power from; in your case it could well be the ign switch, as it is the main key for these circuits to work.

Possible duty or weak contacts at the ignition switch, loose connections, etc.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082