News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1965 Trans rebuild

Started by Matt B #26021, May 29, 2010, 07:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt B #26021

The transmission will need to be rebuilt in my 65 deville. I am planning on removing this and rebuilding as my winter project. I was wondering if anyone has tackled this before. Any tips? Any good sources for rebuild kits?

I have never done this before but I have the time and patience to do it right. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.

Misfit

For parts...   www.autotran.us   David Edwards. If you order the full kit ask him for the heavier O-rings. Not the skinny ones. He'll know what you want. 1st class parts and service.

Plus a Factory Service Manual and the proper tools.

Fins

bcroe

I'm not sure if that year & model have the old hydramatic, or the then new THM400 (switch pitch) trans.  The latter is much simpler to do, but do get the factory manual in any case.  A 400 rebuild kit won't have all the parts you'll need.  I have added a few ideas & home made tools to early 400 rebuilding on PHOTOBUCKET, album BUILD A SWITCH PITCH TRANSMISSION.  Bruce Roe  CLC # 14630

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l71/bcroe/

(that is a lower case "L"71, not an upper case "i"71)

click on an Album
  click on a picture to enlarge

35-709

Definitely a TH 400 switch pitch in a '65.  TH 400 was first introduced in some '64s (deVilles, 60 Specials)
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Carfreak

Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Matt B #26021

Once again you guys come through. Excellent info. Thank you!
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.