News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1962 cad hdstsh

Started by hdstsh, May 31, 2010, 01:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdstsh

i have a 1962 cadillac rag top can i use a 2door frame .and body. to save the rag top.i know it will be a lot ove work.the rag top is rusty.but all there.thehard top is not .i cut the top off already.started on windscield.is there anything i have to do to the frame

Otto Skorzeny

I'm not sure I follow what you want to do.

Are you planning to transfer the convertible body to the coupe frame? Or are you making a convertible out of the coupe?

Putting the convertible body on the coupe frame will give you a better car in the end. Trying to make a convertible out of the coupe normally results in a POS.

The coupe frame will require some additional bracing. Look at the convertible frame to see the differences.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

hdstsh

the convertible is too rusty.i cut thetop off thecoupe .the plates in the middel of fame are thicker on the convertible.i know it is lots of work.i realy wanted to know if i have to change plates

Otto Skorzeny

Yes. Without a metal top helping to hold the car together, the rigidity lost by top on a convertible has to be made up elsewhere. That's why the convertible frame must be used or the coupe frame converted to the convertible configuration with all the proper bracing.

Without it you will end up with a dangerous, hack job rattletrap.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're doing. Are you going to convert the coupe body into a convertible or are you going to swap the convertible body to the coupe frame?
fward

Dan LeBlanc

I think he's trying to convert a coupe to a convertible using just the top from the convertible.  I agree, it won't have the structual rigidity that is inherently built into the convertible chassis.  Without having my 62 shop manual in front of me, I think there are also two additional body mounts on the convertible frame just forward of the rear axle.  I'd have to double check to be sure.

With the time and expense involved in doing the conversion, the money would be best spent on a convertible project that's not so far gone.  The 61's and 62's don't command large sums of money for a good project.  In the end, it would be not only cheaper, but a better quality car.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

hdstsh

the convertible body an rear half are to rusty to fix

Otto Skorzeny

Just my 2 cents but restoring the coupe as a coupe would have been a better use of time, ability and resources and resulted in a better, more valuable car than trying to make a convertible out of it.
The usable convertible parts could have been sold to another restorer to defray costs on the coupe resto.
fward

Dan LeBlanc

Or part out both cars and buy a good project instead of a piecemeal job.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car