News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Suction throttling valve question in a '62..

Started by Edward Kenny, May 31, 2010, 08:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

After trying the inhale test, I have found that the vacuum unit on my STV doesn't hold vacuum. Does this mean I should get a rebuild kit along with a new vacuum unit and do the rebuild on the STV myself? If so, are there any tips anyone can offer me on this particular rebuild?

Thanks in advance for the due diligence.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

What is the "inhale test"?  On a '62 you have a vacuum modulated suction valve.  If the vacuum actuator portion does not hold a "real" vacuum and operate the mechanical portion of the valve, yes you do need to have it repaired.
If you are going to attempt the repairs yourself, I would recommend you get the factory service manual and follow it explicitly.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Edward Kenny

The "inhale test" was that I took a spare piece of vacuum hose, attached it to the vacuum valve, and inhaled in it to see if the valve would hold vacuum. It did not. It was just like inhaling through a straw.

quadfins

It means that your vacuum actuator needs to be replaced. It does not necessarily mean that the suction throttling valve is faulty, or needs to be replaced.
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Edward Kenny

I figured that since the vacuum actuator needs to be replaced and the STV is 48 years old, it would be a good idea to rebuild the STV before I introduced either vacuum or fresh refrigerant into the AC system.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Edward,
If the system has been open to the atmosphere or sat dormant without refrigerant or operations for some time a thorough cleaning of the refrigerant system and a fresh oil charge is in order.  If in fact it has been in operation, the mere fact that it is 40 years old is irrelevant.  If not abused or polluted, the refrigeration system and it's components do not deteriorate with time alone.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Edward Kenny

Thank you for that good info Greg. I'll get a new vacuum actuator and replace it without rebuilding the STV. Makes life a little easier. :)

Ed