News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hydramatic transmission

Started by John Churchill, June 02, 2010, 04:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Churchill

Help! 

I made the mistake of allowing a friend to drive my 1963 Series 75 Sedan and it came back with bent up shifting mechanisms and a broken shift selector (the spring steel device with a roller on its end, also called a "parking prawl"?) within the transmission.  It is spring steel.  Any suggestions on where I might find a replacement, or someone who could point me in that direction?  Email:  johnc.churchillemail addresses not permitted 

John CLC# 23064

Otto Skorzeny

Click on the link in my signature and call Jeff at Willington Cadillac or contact Russ at Caddy Shack who specializes in salvage parts for '63 and '64 Cadillacs.

If either of these guys can't help you, just work your way through the rest of the list.

What did this guy do to screw up your shifter?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Johnbezik#15976

You can try Fatsco in New Jersey.Or just go down to the oldest transmission shop in your area with your broken part,I bet they could help you with what your looking for..John :

Roger Zimmermann

I'm sure he wanted to go in reverse with the car still moving. As the "R" is not in the usual location, he put the lever in "P"...

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

Who puts a car in Reverse while still moving forward regardless of the type of car or transmission?
fward

Doug Houston

Well, mater of fact, Ot-to, this one could chill your blood.

The car companies actually do a test of transmissions (or at least, did, at one time not long ago). I forgot what they valled the test, but it was an endurance test. They get a car on a large paved field, like perhaps, a landing field. They then have the driver shift the transmission from drive to reverse, at high, or possibly full throttle, 100 times. Believe it or not, most transmissions will pass the test. Tires take a real beating, as you can imagine.

I had a tough time believing this, but one of the high GM guys in one of the car clubs, told me that it was true.

How d'ya like those apples?
38-6019S
38-9039
39-9057B
41-6227D
41-6019SF
41-6229D
41-6267D
56-6267
70-DeV Conv
41-Chev 41-1167
41 Olds 41-3929

Otto Skorzeny

I've seen Jim Rockford do it a hundred times on TV but that doesn't make it right. I don't own any new cars but doesn't it normally say in all the owner's manuals to allow the car to come to a complete stop before shifting  D-R or R-D.

That's 10th grade driver's Ed.
fward

Dan LeBlanc

Is yours the old style Hydramatic with the P - N - D - D - L - R pattern or the Turbo-Hydramatic with the modern-day shift pattern?  If it is the old-style pattern, I have a 1961 transmission with bad clutches that I would be willing to sell parts off of.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Matt B #26021

John I would be pissed at your friend!
Member #26021      1965 Cadillac Deville Convertible. Currently in the beginning stages of making her roadworthy. Any parts or info would be much appreciated.

J. Gomez

John,

If I may suggest, remove the complete assembly and inspect each item for binding or bent parts. For that piece to break the force had to be huge around this area for the detent spring to snap..!

The Hydramatic 1961-9164 share the same parts..!

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Glen

When the Grand National was held in Phoenix (1992) we toured the GM proving ground there.  One of the demonstrations was to floor the throttle and as the car began moving the driver would throw it into reverse without letting off the throttle. The driver continued to go between drive and reverse letting the car get some momentum each time before shifting. 

The announcer said this was a common test of the transmission.  When it failed they would analyze it and figure out how to strengthen the failed part(s). 

Glen
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104