News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

472 oil filter mount. Any other locations?

Started by Tom Magdaleno, June 02, 2010, 10:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Magdaleno

Project Packillac is well under way.  I am putting a  73 472 motor from a Sedan De Ville in a '56 Packard Super Clipper.  I have already, switched the oil pan to a rear sump Eldorado unit.  My question is, are there any other oil filter mounts for this engine?  The current one points towards the front, but the filter would hit the frame.  My remote unit is a little tight too, so I am wondering if they ever made an oil filter that pointed in another direction for this series engine?

BTW, this is the car that inspired Cadillac to do Airbag suspensionhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pos9Seqqfm4&playnext_from=TL&videos=W4biFbWqKo4
Tom
'38 Cadillac V16
'71 Buick Riviera
'65 Chevy Truck
'56 Packard Super Clipper

bcroe

There are at least 2 different filter mount orientation pieces for those engines.  Possibly the 68-76 and 77-81 are different.  Check if this can help you.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

The pump that went on the 425 engines angles the filter to the crank and used a smaller diameter filter so its not too close to the pulley.   I think you can use the original filter also but its like millimeters away from the crank pulley.  I think that is the pump that many of the 'swap' guys use.    Its a direct bolt up and same performance and such.    Meling still makes both styles (or at least has them on the shelf).  Just be aware that there is a known issue with the bypass valve sticking in them.  I guess its easy to check and fix.  Guys on the modified board can give you the details.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Tom...See my crazy post about my filter!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff --CLC 24151

TJ Hopland

Looks like the 425 pump will work for you.

I like the 12si alternator.  I now switch all the 10's to 12's.  The 12's just seem to last longer, I suspect because of the better cooling.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason