News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Help!!! Looking for some advice..

Started by CaddyGuy66, June 03, 2010, 11:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaddyGuy66

I am presently restoring the engine compartment of my 1966 Caddy. I have been killing myself trying to refinish rusty bolts but I really don’t want to use hardware store stock because they look wrong. While scouring the internet I found a site, Underhoodboltkit.com, they seem to offer complete “underhood bolt kits”. I was wondering if any of you have ordered from them or have any experience with their products. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
CaddyGuy66

Otto Skorzeny

Caddy,

Click on the link in my signature. You will find 3 or 4 companies that specialize in automotive fasteners.

Mr G's is one of my favorites because he has good clear photos of the hundreds of fasteners he carries.

Fastener Connection is another.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

CaddyGuy66

mgrab

They do have some good quality fasteners......
Another option though if you can't find an adequate replacement: the vibratory tumblers that Eastwood sells do work......(I use to have access to industrial ones) they are great.  Once read a tip though I've never tried it for replicating this process for little to no money.  Take an empty paint can fill with bolts and at least 3/4 full sand.  Go to your local paint shop and tip the guy a few bucks to throw it on the mixer.  Like I said I've never tried but always been curious.....
Mike
1941 Cadillac 6267D
1948 Packard Custom Eight Victoria
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan

Otto Skorzeny

I have a rock tumbler/polisher that I've had since I was about 6 years old. It works great for nuts and bolts as well as brass shell casings for re-loading ammo.

Who said it's time to put away childish things? Just put them to different uses.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE