News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Tire Question

Started by Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332), June 03, 2010, 08:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332)

I'm not ready yet, but what would be the correct whitewall width when I purchase new rubber?  Current tires are 8.20/15 bias ply but not the originals and seeing as I plan on using her as a driver, I'm considering radials. Pro's or Con's?  Appreciate any input or experiance you may have had.

Thanks, Steve
My58Caddy.com

Steve Lachowetz (25332)

Otto Skorzeny

I drive my 56 as a regular car including 1000+ mile trips each year. I've put tens of thousands of miles on it with bias ply tires. I currently have radials on it.

Since most roads today are much better than they were when the car was new, the common complaints about bias ply tires didn't really manifest themselves very often.

My car rides straight, smooth and true with bias plies at all speeds. The ONLY reason I switched to radials was that I got sick of buying new tires every 10,000 miles.

Two things I don't like about radials are the way they look and the soft sidewalls. With bias ply tires, my car corners and moves through curves like it's on rails because of the stiff sidewalls.

With radials, the car has a lot more body roll on curves and turns. I have no doubt that the radials are inherently safer but if I could afford to buy new tires once or twice a year I would stick with bias ply tires.

The best thing I like about radials is the dramatic drop in road noise.

How often do you drive your car? If it's just to shows or or running local errands and the occasional hundred mile trip, I'd  stick with bias plies. They just look a whole lot better.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Dave Shepherd

The key to radials is to have gas shocks, also the alignment should be changed to addt'l caster, for proper tracking.

Otto Skorzeny

Yes. All that's true. Also make sure you keep them pumped up close to the max pressure. Mine are 35max and I keep them at 32. If they too low you will have real squirrelly handling.
fward

Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332)

I'm probably going to go with the radials, but what would be the proper whitewall width?

Steve
My58Caddy.com

Steve Lachowetz (25332)

Otto Skorzeny

The originals were 2 1/2"  or 2 3/4 " something like that. The biggest you can get in 235x15 radial is 3 1/4.
fward