News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

classic car insurance

Started by Herman, June 04, 2010, 12:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herman

Who has had any experience with JC Taylor, Grundy Haggarty, Heacock?  I have had quotes from all and Heacock appears to be less expensive than the others...opinions appreciated

Herman clc19416

jp70deville-CLC #24151

Herman

I just got my 70 CDV last fall, and I searched relentlessly for the best price...and agreed value.  I can tell you that also last fall, while traveling on business towrds Dayton, where I live in the Super Trooper State of Ohio, I receieved  TWO tickets in 4 days (one I vehemently travelled to fight, due to the inaccuracy of the trooper)..for the record, I have never had any before. When I was getting quotes, most of whom you mention would not give me the time of day due to these infractions. Hagerty, on the other hand, gave me agreed coverage for my car for 10K..I paid 7...put in 3K.  I did give them a lengthy explanation in being turned down from other companies, which  more or less, said, "I am going to be driving my classic Cadillac down the Highway, not my BMW, this car is is as valued as my spouse...Hahaha)..My yearly premuim , based on 1,500 miles per year, at $10K agreed value is, $137.00 a year. I am one of the chairman for a Concours show we have in the Akron/Canton area that I live , and Hagerty has always been a major sponsor, but due "tough advertising times", they droppped us and I will say a lot of my fellow board members asked us all to drop them, but I won't...I had a breakdown 2 weeks ago and they were superb.....
I hope this helps
Jeff --CLC 24151

David Greenburg

Here's another vote for Hagerty, which I've had for years.  Rates are very reasonable, and you are not restricted to "car club activities and parades etc." as long as you stay under your annual mileage cap.  And I did have to make a claim once as a result of an engine fire, and the customer service was fantastic; prompt payment with no hassles to the shop of my choice for repairs.  I wish they insured modern cars as well.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Otto Skorzeny

Hagerty always gets high marks form people on all fronts. JC Taylor also has a good rep. A restoration guy I know insures all 15? of his personal collection through Taylor.

The other two are both underwritten by Zurich Insurance Companies which is also a very reputable insurance provider so I don't think you'd have a problem with them either. The customer service might not be as good as Hagerty, though.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

35-709

My '35 and previous old cars have all been with Hagerty and I am very happy with their rates and service.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

srk1941

I've had Hagerty for ten years, and though I've never had to file a claim (knock, knock) they've been great.
Steven Keylon
1941 Cadillac Convertible Coupe
CLC# 16658

okccadman

I've been with Haggerty for over ten years and currently have 6 cars with them.  On May 16, my 70 Coupe de Ville and 56 Coupe were both at my house when a sudden baseball sized hail storm came up.  An adjuster looked at the cars on May 20 and my checks were sent yesterday.  Everyone at Haggerty has been nothing but professional, friendly and extremely helpfull !!!

I give them my highest reccomendation.

By the way, the 70, which was being prepared for paint and a top was deemed a total loss and no question was made as to the agreed value.  I am keeping it and going ahead with the planned cosmetic job (just a lot more work now!)  They promised to reinsur eit fully when repairs are made as well.

I got the 56 in the carport but she still gut some damage to the decklid and tail and back up lenses.  All in all it coould have been worse, my neighborhood is a sea of blue tarps, roofing trucks and cars with little or no glas sleft.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Kevin M. Parkinson

I have been with Hagerty for 9 years.  I am not aware of any annual mileage cap that a couple of you have mentioned.  Is that an addition to your policy that brings the rate down even more?  I have 5 cars on the policy with full coverage, no deductibles, plus the flatbed towng and pay under $300 per year. 
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

As I've stated previously on this forum, Hagerty gets my vote!

Top customer service and professional people to handle any problem.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TonyZappone #2624

This discussion has come up many times before.  I have been with J.C.Taylor for about 45 years.  I have had great treatment from them, including a $22,000 repaint for paint ruined by acid rain.  The discussion that keeps coming up is about milage restriction and use restriction.  I spoke to Roy Graden who was representing Taylor at the Easter Fall Meet of the AACA at Canandaigua, N.Y just yesterday.  I  asked him about use and milage restrictions  He said that that they had none:  common sense prevails.  You don't drive your car to work on a daily basis.  You don't leave the car parked overnight in a dangerous neighborhood, etc.  again they have treated me very well over the years, I recommend them highly.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Misfit

I'm with American Collectable Ins. Co. They have been good to me for 5 years now, although I've never submitted a claim.

The car is fully covered with a few extras like towing and parts, no deductible on anything and with an agreed value.

No usage restrictions other than it has to be enclosed in a garage while on the home property. No restrictions for traveling or parking at shows and such. Just common sense. A few of us still have it.

We'll see if the time ever comes to make a claim, which I hope never happens.

It runs me $190/year in Ft Lauderdale.

Fins

D.Yaros

I too have American Collectible, and have been with them for a few years.  No claims, and no complaints.
Dave Yaros
CLC #25195
55 Coupe de Ville
92 Allante
62 Olds  

You will find me on the web @:
http://GDYNets.atwebpages.com  -Dave's Den
http://graylady.atwebpages.com -'55 CDV site
http://www.freewebs.com/jeandaveyaros  -Saved 62 (Oldsmobile) Web Site
The home of Car Collector Chronicles.  A  monthly GDYNets newsletter focusing on classic car collecting.
http://www.scribd.com/D_Yaros/

fnoti

Haggerty is what I use for my 59 Coupe.  I lover the fact that they give me 3 tows a year for free.  Each time I've dealt with them they have been great and I was able to speak to a customer service rep on a sunday afternoon!

Art Director

JC Taylor has advertised every month for many years in The Self-Starter, therefore supporting the CLC financially. They deserve high consideration for your insurance.
Tim Coy
CLC Southwestern Regions Vice President
Interim Western Regions Vice President
Art Director, The Self-Starter, International Membership Directory
Life member, Rocky Mountain Region
CLCMRC Benefactor #102

1963 Six-Window Sedan de Ville
1972 Fleetwood Brougham - RIP
1988 Sedan de Ville - RIP
2001 Eldorado ESC - RIP
2003 DeVille DTS - sold

Gary H

I have been in this hobby for only about 15 years. I started with JC Taylor, then when I needed to increase value, they required a formal appraisal from a "certified" appraisal firm. Not wanting to pay more for the appraisal than the insurance would cost, I switched to Haggerty. I did not have problems with either firm, but also no claims. In doing annual shopping for insurance some five years ago, I discovered that Grundy was significantly cheaper, and at that time was selling a better package with the the "Agreed Value" protocol.  I went with them, and since that time, have had two claims (nothing too serious, but a couple of thousand dollars damage to my car(s)). In both cases, I had the check in hand within 5 days - no questions asked. The policy does not limit me to any type of mileage restriction, or any other type of serious restriction other than what would be expected of a "hobbyist car". I cannot drive it to work daily, but other than I cannot use it for my daily driver, and all drivers must be over 25 years old, there are no limits.  I drive the cars 5K miles per year. Insurance is only really determined to be of any value when you have a claim. In both of the cases, that I have had, Grundy has been exceptional. Also, I have not seen any increase in premium because I have had claims. I still annually shop for prices, and Grundy has still been the best buy for me.
Gary H.

marty55cdv

I also use Grundy, no claims, but I like the fact that there is no mileage restriction, if you want to take your car for a Sunday drive or once in awhile to work they have no problem with it. They also insure you, if you are hurt at a car show, cruise night etc.
Marty Smith
  CLC #22760
41 60 Special http://bit.ly/1Wm0GvT
55 CDV http://bit.ly/1G933IY
56 Fleetwood
1958 Extended Deck http://bit.ly/1NPYhGC
1959 Fleetwood  http://bit.ly/1OFsrOE
1960 Series 62 Coupe
1960 Sedan DeVille  4 window Flattop
63 Fleetwood http://bit.ly/1iSz17J
1964 Eldorado http://bit.ly/1Wm17GA  (Living in California now)
1988 EBC http://bit.ly/1iSACKz

Barry M.Wheeler #2189

Just a quick note about all the TV ads about car insurance... I asked my State Farm agent how they can make all those claims of saving hundreds of $s per year against what you are paying now.
He said, "It's real simple. They lie."
I've been with State Farm since 1968, and have had three agents retire in that time. Two were my best customers at my clothing business. The few claims I've had with them have been paid promptly with no complaint by them. One was a claim that they paid for a new wiring harness for the 1941 BECAUSE IT WAS STOLEN FROM THE BACK SEAT INSIDE THE CAR, inside the garage. I got a check for $550 to replace it after turning in a report to the police. If the harness had been in the garage proper, I would have gotten zip as my homeowner's has a $500 deductible.

The coverage at $10K agreed value for the 1941 is about $135 per year. I have the '79 covered as a regular auto at $268 per year full coverage.

herman

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I too had JC Taylor on two classic cars years ago and up until 2 years ago had Haggerty.  This is 2010 and I was shopping for Insurance again,  I am looking to insure for $75,000 and called all the big companies, Jc Taylor, Haggerty, Grundy, American ?, AAA and Heacock.  All required an appraisal for anything over $30,000 and AAA and one of the others had a deductible.

By nearly $100.00 Heacock was cheaper than the cheapest insurer.  They agreed on $75,000 after sending pictures and did not require an appraisal, so I am going to give it a try.  I live in CA  where rates are generally higher but they still came through

Bill Podany #19567

To all fellow members:

The quality of your insurance company is only verified when you have a claim.  As an owner of award wiiining Cadillac's which have unfortunately endured unfortunate accidents, including serious fire damage and personal emergency room care, Hagery Insurance was been outstanding in every regard.  I could write a book on these extraordinary and costly experiences.  I have never had an insurance company that I trusted, and at age 64, the only exception is Hagerty. 

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado