News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Patting myself on the back - tilt/tele steeering wheel install

Started by 76eldo, June 05, 2010, 03:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I have a 1976 Fleetwood Brougham.  When I bought it, it had some ugly custom steering wheel installed, with the original one in a box in the trunk.  There was a plastic bag with a mixture of Cadillac parts and fasteners and leftover aftermarket stuff.

Other than the steering wheel, the car is completely stock and original, cold AC, everything works, under 60K miles.  Burgundy with matching vinyl top, red leather interior.

So I have been looking at this car for months now, and can't stand the sight of this fugly steering wheel.

A while back I got the phone number of a retired Cadillac mechanic who was very knowledgible on 70's Cadillacs.  I bought a ton of original shop manuals from one of the other guys that worked with him in the dealership, but he was much younger.

I called the guy to see if he would be interesting in coming over (I have a fully equipped garage) and installing the original steering wheel.  I figured since he "knew these cars inside and out" it would be some easy cash for him.

Get this...  He tells me, "Yeah, I can do that for you, but you have to pull the steering column and bring it to me. I don't want any cars laying around here.  It shouldn't take you too long to remove the column.  It will take me 2 hours, and I get $75.00 an hour."  I politely thanked him and said I would do it myself.  It made NO sense to me to pull the steering column out.

So today, I dug out my shop manual and my illustrated parts manual, and gave it a shot.

I had the ugly wheel off in 2 minutes.  Now for the fun.

I laid out all the parts I had on a folding table, took inventory, and as luck would have it, everything was there.  It's a telescopic wheel too, so that's even more fun.

I just took my time, looked at the exploded view, put most of the wheel and assorted parts together, bolted it up, and it looked 100% better already.

I figured out the telescopic lever and reconnected the horn button.  Now the car has it's proper factory steering wheel, which is in decent shape, and it looks right and feels right.  Now I can put some miles on this baby.

If anyone has a red front driver's side carpeted floor mat, please let me know?

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Misfit

Good go Brian. Those units can be real tricky when they want to be. The tilt spring is like a small bomb waiting to be ignited.

As for the 'expert'? He is the reason I learned to repair my own cars and anything else I've ever owned, since I was old enough to hold a wrench.

And the degree of self satisfaction is the best feeling.

Fins

35-709

Patience, a shop manual, and a little mechanical aptitude will win out every time.
Geoff N.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

J

does your horn work well? i put my original wheel back on and my horn keeps blowing   the spring makes contact grounding it out like i am missing something does yours have an insulator between the spring and contact? i just unpluged my relay untill i get it fixed but i miss my horn  any help is appreciated   what manual is the exploted view in?  thanks Jessie  P.S. pics would be great
Cadillac got me!!!

Otto Skorzeny

Heck ya! The horn is the most important part of my car!  ( there are a lot of jay walkers around here)
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

76eldo

I don't know if your horn switch is bad or not.  The wire comes up from the column, goes through a plastic insulator.  Take the 3 1/4 inch head bolts off of the back side of the wheel and you should be able to see what's going on.  The exploded view is in the illustrated parts catalog.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

R. Scot Minesinger

Great job.  I like some inspirational stories.  Basically if you have some mechanical skill and you can read the manuals are very helpful.  The shortfall of many of the people that work on our babies is that they do not READ.

Great car to enjoy,

Scot