News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Question re: Installing new side glass in side window frames on 1950's

Started by Stewart Homan, June 07, 2010, 04:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart Homan

cars (possibly up to '64)

The OEM part between the glass and frame appears to be a black thick paper derived strip. We seem to struggle to get anything like it here in England that is water resistant, correct thickness and seems to have the ability to 'grip' the glass and frame.

The question is, is this available and from which source - I haven't seen it in Steele's catalogue!

Thanks,

Stewart

markl

Stewart,
Hope someone has a more concise answer for you, but I just finished the same process on my 68 Chevy pickup.  The window channel that raises and lowers seemed to be lined w/ a thin rubber material which I reused.  Had I needed to replace it, the first thing I would have tried is rubber electrical tape.  Not to be confused w/ the more common Vinyl tape, Rubber tape comes w/ a liner that is removed as it is applied.  The most common brand in the USA would be 3M, Scotch brand #2228.  If you can't find it directly, I'm sure an electrician friend could direct you to an equivalent European product.  It is more correctly known as Self-Fusing Moisture Seal Mastic Tape, but in the trade it is usually just called "Rubber Tape", at least on the west coast.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Dan LeBlanc

Go to an autoglass fitter and ask for Everseal.  It wraps the glass, the frame is then put on with a rubber mallet, and then spray liberally with WD-40 to swell the rubber for a tight seal.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Stewart,
That'll be self amalgamating tape, available here in Blighty from vehicle wiring supplies or Maplins on the High Street.
Phil

Stewart Homan

Cheers all!

I'll check that out Phil - did you use that on your glass?

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Hi Stewart,
I had nothing to do with putting the glass back in - I used a company called Old School Windscreens to fit the glass in the rechromed frames.
Phil