News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Urgent ! Moths chewing on my virgin wool carpet

Started by Jeff Maltby 4194, June 08, 2010, 01:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Maltby 4194

I recently noticed some tiny strips removed from the carpet and freaked out. I heard Irish Spring soap works to repel infestation so I installed 4 bars but I'm looking for something to spray the carpet and padding in spots without staining it.

Advice Please.

Thanks
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Steve Lachowetz (No. 25332)

I've heard about a product called MothGuard (try Google to find it), a powder you mix with water and spray on, supposedly works well, but I have never used it.  Cedar also works well to repel the buggers, is it in your car or home?

Steve
My58Caddy.com

Steve Lachowetz (25332)

Otto Skorzeny

Depending on where you live, you may have carpet beetles instead of moths.

Call Do-It-Yourself Pest Control or order online:

http://www.pantrypest.com/fabriccontrol.htm

General Information: Fabric Pest

Cloth Moth Traps and Control Measures for cloth moths and beetles

The most prevalent fabric destroying insects in the U.S.A. include two clothes moths: Webbing Clothes Moth and the Casemaking Clothe Moth
and three carpet beetles: Black carpet beetle,varied carpet beetle, and furniture carpet beetle.

The first thing needed to done is the elimination of the source of infestation.
You should make a thorough inspection of infested premises to find all sources of infestation.

In the northern states east of the Rocky Mountains, damage to fabrics is more likely caused by dermestid beetles than clothes moths. Dermestid beetles are more resistant to cold temperatures and lower humidities of the northern states. In the southern states, clothes moths are more likely to be a problem because of higher humidity and temperatures.

Insects of the remaining groups, crickets, silverfish, cockroaches and termites usually feed on substances other than fabrics. However, these insects will feed on fabrics, especially when the fabric has food or perspiration stains on it.

After damage to fabric is discovered, it may take some detective work to determine the culprit. The insect pest is usually no longer present when the damage is found. To properly determine the pest, an investigator should make note of the following clues.

1. Look for live or dead insects. Live insects may be hard to find because these pests avoid the light, hiding in the folds of the fabric or in the cracks and crevices of closets. You can sometimes find dermestid larvae by shaking the damaged fabric over the middle of a white sheet spread out on the floor. Live adult carpet beetles and clothes moths are rarely found because they do not feed on fabric. Carpet beetles adults sometimes can be found dead on window sills, and clothes moth adults do not feed.

2. Look for cast skins, insect fragments and products. Cast skins of larvae are often found with damaged fabric or fur. If you need to remove insect fragments for identification, carefully place them in a small vial or tin and take them to an Extension diagnostic lab. Brittle insect parts break apart easily when placed in an envelope. Clothes moths will often leave silken webbing, cases, pupae or frass in the damaged fabrics. These "parts" will help identify the pest.

3. Type of fabric. Carpet beetles and clothes moths can digest keratin, a component of animal hair, which includes wool, fur and feathers. Fabric made of wool blends may also be damaged. They also feed on silk. The other fabric pests tend to damage fabrics only if the fabrics are stained with food or perspiration

Fabric insects cause significant damage in commercial and residential areas. Fabrics destroyed include woolens, furs, hairs, leathers , feathers, horns, insect and animal collections.

They can also attack stored foods such as food, meat, fish, meal and milk products. Synthetic fibers are rarely damaged, only incidentally due to oiled stains , perspiration or other residue on the fabric.

These insects are able to digest keratin as their food source. Keratin is the chief ingredient in human tissues such as skin, hair and fingernails.
Keratin is a chief ingredient in horns, hoofs, feathers, hair, nails in other mammals.

Other pest, such as silverfish,crickets,cockroaches and earwigs will chew or shred the fabric, but not digest it.
The ability to digest the keratin and the abundant use of wool and other animal hair is the cause of such a widespread problem.

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE