News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

CTS-V spare?

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, June 08, 2010, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

My original tires are going to need to be replaced and I am wondering if other CTS-V owners have come up with a spare tire if they chose not to replace with run-flat tires?  Will a spare fit in the wheel well in the trunk?  Thanks.

Bob Schuman

Lars,
On the 2004-2007 CTS-V a standard CTS-V wheel and tire will fit in the spare tire well perfectly, after removing the plastic tub the factory put in that well. It's very easy to remove it, after removing a couple of sppednuts holding it in place. You will also need a jack, and I bought a standard CTS jack from my dealer's parts department.

If you don't already have an extra wheel, they can be found on Ebay. I got one from Detroit Wheel, not cheap, about $300 including shipping to Illinois. To my knowledge, there are no other wheels that will fit the CTS-V properly. The SRX through 2008 or 2009 has a six lug wheel, as does the STS-v, but they are not quite the same, and reportedly don't clear the brake parts on the CTS-V.

I got rid of the miserable runflat tires shortly after buying my 2005 model in 2007, and would never consider another car with runflat tires.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

The Tassie Devil(le)

You are saying that the CTS-V doesn't come with a Jack?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Herman clc#19416

I have a 2008 CTS with the V6 new injection.  This car also does not come with a jack or spare tire or wheel.  The car comes with a 12v plug in compressor and a can of Fix- it goo in the spare tire well but you can order it with a tire and wheel and jack kit whcih is what I did.  The reasoning behind this, I was told...."Dept of Transportation states that many highway accidents are prevented by not having the car owner change the tire on the road " and it has increased mileage without a spare.  Now picture yourself in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with a flat and you run out of goo.  You have to be towed to the nearest town which now probably does not have a Cadillac Dealer and you know the tire shop will not have your 17 inch tire in stock and it will have to come by Greyhound Bus or...

Live it up in the middle of who knows where.  Force the dealer to order the spare tire kit if buying a new CTS,  Just my 2 cents worth.  Not that I will ever try to use the bumper jack on my 49 Cad Conv. as once the car comes off the ground it sways like a roller coaster and who knows where it will fall

Herman

Otto Skorzeny

I keep a rolling hydraulic floor jack and piece of 2x12 in the trunk. I've never used the bumper jack and never intend to.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Schuman

In each of my antiques I do exactly as Otto has said. The 41 Cadillac should never be lifted with a bumper jack, it will distort the bumper supports.
The 2004-2007 CTS-V was available only with Summer runflat tires, therefore no spare and no inflator kit. What good would it do to have a jack? The Summer tires made the car virtually undrivable in any snow deeper than a trace. With Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires the difference is amazing, and the dry or wet road performance is practically unchanged, at least in my experience.
Bob Schuman, CLC#254
2017 CT6-unsatisfactory (repurchased by GM)
2023 XT5

Lars Kneller 8246

Thanks, everyone. I had my car out in a light snow just once (battery was dead in my truck).  I was at a stop sign, on perfectly flat ground, let out the clutch without a lot of gas, and it just spun the tires!  My factory equipment Goodyear run flat summer tires now have 6300 miles on them, and are just about worn out.  And I really don't drive the car that hard. So, I can probably milk them out the rest of this summer and fall, but would really prefer to replace them with something else, thus the need of a spare tire.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Lars Kneller 8246 on June 09, 2010, 07:26:11 PM
......... My factory equipment Goodyear run flat summer tires now have 6300 miles on them, and are just about worn out.  And I really don't drive the car that hard.
Sounds to me like you mightn't drive too hard on the road, but the track?

Boy, if I can't get 40,000 miles from a set of tyres, there is something wrong.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

I thought he mistyped and meant 63,000. That would be normal wear.

I get 10,000 on bias plies for cripe's sake.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Roger Zimmermann

I had once a customer who replaced his tires each 4000 miles with a 93 or 94 Seville...He replaced the front rotors about at the same pace!

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

I guess that's what theat big "V" buys you.
Greg
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-