News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Heater hose question

Started by Pat, June 13, 2010, 09:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Just wondering if anyone has a source for the hose that comes out of the heater valve on the firewall and bends sharply upward to the "T" ...and while I am at it...does anyone have a source for the "T"s ?? I thought I might try a washing machine repair place for those.
Cheers,Pat

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

You can get plastic "T's" from any auto parts store.  However, the originals were
made of pot metal (believe it or not!).  As you would expect, they corroded over
time so they are hard to find in good condition today.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Pat

Well after a little searching I found out that NAPA caries the "T"s in galvanized steel..now I just have to find the hose.
NAPA part #BK6601666
Cheers,Pat

Charlie Petty

I inserted a coil type spring in this hose to keep it from collapsing when bent. Used one with a snug fit, which stretched out a bit when I pulled it through. 

Won't be easy to find the right hose.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The correct heater hose is easily available.  It's black, has a few raised ribs on it,
and can be purchased from guys dealing in Chevy parts.

Charlie -- are you by chance talking about the radiator hose with your mention of
spring inserts?

Mike 
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Pat

Mike,
I am aware that one can get the original ribbed hose (I think Restoration Specialties has the best deal)
I guess my question should have been if the hose that comes out of the valve is molded with that upward bend? or is it just a plain piece of hose that has taken a set after all these years?
Thanks,Pat

Misfit

I had to buy 2 molded hoses for mine. A regular straight section of hose will kink and get pinched off when you try to create a bent that sharp in it.

Fins

Pat

Thanks John...I might try a variation on Charlie's suggestion and put a piece of flexible copper pipe inside the hose to maintain the shape..that way you could retain the ribbed hose.
Cheers,Pat

Charlie Petty

Mike-  I am talking about the heater valve to tee hose.

I don't think the spring was stainless, so it will rust eventually.  I may try the soft copper idea too.