News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 Cadillac Debutante

Started by GBrown #8092, June 13, 2010, 11:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

Does anyone know of its current whereabouts.

I received a call as I am want to, from the person who currently owns the leopard jacket worn by the model in the Feb 13, 1950 Life magazine article about the car. She is trying to find out if the car still exists and if the owner might be interested in having the jacket.

Given that the car was basically a custom paint job and interior on what appeared to be a fairly stock car, I'd guess its unlikely but with 11,000 sets of eyes, maybe someone has seen it somewhere

Glenn L. Brown

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

In the late 1970's  (1978 or 1979)  I remember going to look at an early 1950's Cadillac convertible near West Grand Boulevard in Detroit not far from the Clark Ave Plant. The old guy who owned the car said he was a retired Cadillac employee.  The car was in a delapitated garage where it had obviously been sitting for a number of years.  I remember the tailights being severly deformed from heat.  The car was yellow with a leopard skin style seat cover that were tattered.  I passed on buying the car.  A couple of years later I read about the Debutante........to this day I wonder if it was the same car.  I once went back to the area (having long lost the address) and could not even find anything that looked like the house I had been at.    Someone may have bought it and still has it , or it may have been scrapped.  Not knowing if that was the real Debutante has haunted me,  as "the one that got away".   

Charles D. Barnette

Dear Glenn, is the person willing to do the next best thing and that is to donate the coat to the CLC Museum? Plus a story and pictures of the event. Charles

David Temple

There is certainly a chance that the car still exists. However, there is a good chance that if it does its identity as the Debutante has been lost. Someone who bought it in the late 1970s may have thought it a customized car. Today the car would perhaps be restored to the look of a regular production Cadillac. I encourage all CLC members owning a 1950 Cadillac convertible to check the ID plates of their car. Look for an "S.O." (shop order) tag. The Debutante would have had a relatively low serial number, too. The car was exhibited at the GM Mid-Century Motorama in January 1950, so it had to have been built early in the model year. Having the car is obviously a long shot, but how much effort is involved in looking at the VIN plate?

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Several things might have happened.
The car might have been pre-production & scrapped by GM.
They might have put a standard interior in it & sold it to an employee. 
Also, SO does NOT mean shop order, it means special order.
There is no VIN plate on a 1950 Cadillac.
It would be great if the car still exists, but the odds are against it.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Otto Skorzeny

Is that paint or chrome/gold along the window sill?
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Charles D. Barnette

After looking at SouthPaw's post, I am convinced now more than ever that if the car can't be found, the coat or jacket should be obtained for our museum! Charles

David Temple

Is there any kind of trim tag on the 1950 Cadillacs? My opinion is that Tim Pawl did see the Debutante as it seems unlikely an ex-Cadillac employee would have a '50 convertible with a leopard skin interior and it not be that car. If so, it existed in the late-70s and could still exist today. As for "S.O."... I have seen both "special order" and "shop order" as the meaning for those letters. However, I have seen "shop order" on official GM paperwork so I use "shop order" as its meaning.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David,
I & I'm sure others would like to see some documention showing the words "shop order". Could you share that info?
Bob

David Temple

Thanks for sharing this. Those ads clearly indicate another possibility as to the identity of the car Tim Pawl saw. A recollection of the gold-plated hardware and the "Tawny Yellow Buff" paint color by him , though, would seemingly be very strong evidence the car he saw was indeed the Debutante.

David Temple

I never expected to have to defend the use of the phrase, "shop order," but will do my best with five-year old memories. (Bob, what is your source for the meaning, "special order?") If I recall correctly, the sources of that phrase appeared on photocopies of work orders issued to GM Photographic to photograph various versions of the 1954 Oldsmobile F-88s as well as to photograph what I believe were minor alterations to the 1954 Buick Landau and the 1954 Buick Wildcat II. Copies of these work orders (along with a ton of photographs) were loaned to me in 2004 or 2005 by Steve Wolken, a retired GM employee and CLC member. At that time I was writing the book, "GM's Motorama." If those copies were not my original source of "shop order" then, unfortunately, I do not recall the source - at least not at this time. The phrase was completely unknown to me until conducting research for this book. The first time I saw "S.O." numbers in any documentation I expected the abbreviation to mean, "special order," so there was some surprise in discovering the phrase, "shop order." I scanned many of the copies of the aforementioned work orders, but a computer crash in January 2006 (the evening of the 9th to be exact) apparently eliminated those scans. Fortunately, I had extracted the details needed from them and of course backed up the narrative and photo files specific to the book. Furthermore, I believe the phrase in question appears somewhere on the website, http://www.carofthecentury.com/ which is quite extensive and was put together by the grandson of GM's first vice president of GM Styling, Harley Earl. Again, that is all strictly from memory and I could spend hours trying to retrace my research to find the "smoking gun" evidence for "shop order," but will leave that search to others. My interest in this topic is for all CLC members who have access to a 1950 Cadillac convertible is to check whatever ID plates are on these cars (trim tag on the cowl?) to see if there is anything unusual noted on them. My guess is that on the Debutante, such a tag would have had some atypical coding. An "S.O." tag was likely attached to that car. (My experience on this is direct observation of the 1954 Buick Landau.) My assumption is that if this car exists, it got a repaint in a standard color and reupholstered in a standard and matching material long ago. I imagine a lot of people were unfamiliar with the Debutante by the late 1970s and at first sight would reasonably have expected it to have been a car customized by a private individual - not a GM show car. (There is some precedence for this hypothesis. Reportedly, the 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air built as GM's 50-millionth car, still exists. Its history was lost and only discovered by pure luck. That car was in a shop on the east coast and was to be converted into a race car - wheel wells cut out, etc. Someone who had a '55 Bel Air as a restoration project found the car it in this shop before that process began and decided it was in better shape than his current project. A trade was arranged. The restorer later started disassembling the car, stripping paint, etc. and kept finding unusual features long hidden. The owner contacted a source within GM, provided the car's serial number, and learned the historic significance of that Chevy.) Maybe the car Tim Pawl saw was the Debutante or maybe it had one of those leopard skin interior kits mentioned earlier in this thread. Regardless, the Debutante probably was not scrapped by GM as at that time they were not quite so fearful of letting such cars get into the hands or private owners. Such concerns began to arise a few years later, though.

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

Thanks for posting the photo of the interior.  Looking at the photo it appears that the lower seat cushions are leather rather than leopard. My recollection is the full seat in the car I saw was leopard,  or perhaps the bottom cushion was black.  Previous photos I had seen never showed the lower seat cushion.  I do not remember seeing any amount of gold trim like in the photo.  My recollection of the interior being tattered was more like a fabric rather than a fur.  Does anyone now how Leopard skin ages?   Somewhere I remember reading that the skins of 32 leopards were used on the interior...can anyone verify that number?  The color of the car was a similar yellow.  I would call it "Post-It Note" yellow.  It certainly would be great if it was still out there.  Tim Pawl  

Tim Pawl CLC#4383

The advertisement for the car was in a Sunday edition of either the Detroit News, or Detroit Free Press. Someone has suggested going back and looking at microfilms of the Sunday want-ads for that period of time, and tracing the phone number. Does anyone know if the want ads in newspapers were microfilmed or archived.?

Charles D. Barnette

I would point out that the ad in question does describe a "Coupe" not a "Convertible". Charles

okccadman

Tim, I know our library keeps entire newspapers on microfilm, including the classifieds.  I foiund a great deal from 1957 on a 1953 Eldorado for $3950.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

David Temple

The microfilmed newspapers I have viewed all included the classified ads. If you find the phone number for the ad you can then reference an old city directory to match it with an address.

David Temple

From a GM press release posted on the Cadillac Database...
    "For many years designers have dreamed of creating a most unusually appointed Cadillac, employing rare furs for interior body covering. This dream has become a reality with the long lurking desire culminating in a leopard skin trimmed convertible.

The selection of leopard skin for this car was most fitting in keeping with the character and tradition of Cadillac automobiles. Throughout the centuries a particular distinction has been attached to the use of these skins as raiment or in adorning living quarters.

Among many tribes the leopard is regarded with such awe that even the mention of the name is tabu and the skins may be worn only by the supreme chief - as the "Ingwe" or leopard has had a quasi-sacred character since its earliest appearance in antiquity.

As perfect leopard skins are scarce, the greatest obstacle, as pointed out by Don E. Ahrens, Cadillac General Sales Manager, was that of obtaining enough for this undertaking.

Many months before the car was built a Detroit furrier was commissioned to find the perfect specimens. This quest was fulfilled when he brought the 187 finest skins in the country to his establishment. After a careful examination it was determined that fourteen approached the high quality of this car as closely as could be obtained. Fur experts then studied the skins for many days to arrive at an exact match and perfect laying of each piece.

The leopard skins covering the upper portion of the front and rear seat backs, the upper side panels, and the complete floor in the front and rear compartments give a sophisticated interpretation of primitive splendor.

These skins are those of the Somaliland leopard - the largest, most ferocious, and yet the most beautiful species - found only on the East Coast of Africa.

For an unusual touch, two pieces of leopard tail were used to make the robe cord - and it is easily understandable that a leopard claw should be added to the ignition key ring - a whim of the designer's mood.

Only the stoic can study this creation without coming under the spell of its primitive beauty.

So perfectly have these skins been prepared that it requires little imagination to vision a leopard gliding cat-like through his native haunts - the smooth flowing, muscular ripple belying the tremendous power of the predatory beast.

The quiet repose of the leopard skins on the car flatter masculine ego and the thought of being surrounded by the gorgeous luxury of the rosette studded skins titillates feminine imagination.

In brilliant contrast to the rosette studded leopard skins - lower seat backs, cushions, and the covering of the lower sides and door panels is a shimmering, opalescent, gray nylon satin.

The armrests are covered with iridiscent gray leather. The note of luxury set by the lavish use of rare furs is further highlighted by the richness of the interior appointments. Every interior, unpainted metal surface is gold plated. No detail has been overlooked, even the ignition key and key chain are in gold finish.

Typically Cadillac in that no detail has been overlooked, the debutante's every desire is lavishly provided for in this aptly named car. A cigarette case and memo list are concealed in the left front door panel. While, tucked away in the opposite door is a lipstick and a miniature perfume atomizer [all previewing the future Eldorado Brougham's complement of vanity items ?!?!].

In Tawny Yellow Buff the exterior of the "Debutante" complements the Rufous Buff color in the leopard skins. In this exterior finish, the pearl luster has been achieved by overlaying the base paint with a sprayed layer of miniature, moon shaped fish scales - these are exceedingly costly, obtained only through a special process that requires dissolving the larger portion of a fish scale leaving only the tiny pearl essence."

David Temple

One matter I forgot to address in my previous reply was in regard to how leopard skin ages. I read that leopard skin has little longevity (at least at that time - perhaps there are ways to preserve it now). That would help explain why it was not a production option during that time period.

Otto Skorzeny

How revolting.

I'm surprised they didn't mount the poor leopard's head on the hood in place of the flying lady.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

David,
I think you're combining two different car building scenarios. And I think you answered your own question when you're talking about work orders.
I research factory invoices. I like ones for special order cars. That used to be SBO,Special Body Order, but around 1941 it was shortened to SO. I have a 1941 book titled special features for 1941 Cadillacs. Note it dooes NOT say shop features for 1941 Cadillac. All research I've done says special order or special features.
Total custom cars were built in the "shop". They never saw the production line.
Modified production cars like the Debutante & the Buick Landau were built on the production line & diverted to the "shop" at some point. What happened when a car was being built from scratch or was a production car being modified. A work order was also with that car to show what to do & what account # to charge labor & materials. I suppose another name for work order could be shop order.
Now... SO cars on the production line did NOT go to the "shop". If that 41 needed a 38 yellow paint color, or the 59 FW needed a all white leather interior, it all got handled on the line.
What about data plates? Total custom cars don't have them.  I am not sure if the Debutante or like modified cars had a data plate. Someone may want to research that.
HTH, Bob